Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rio water pump = junk

freakaccident

freakaccident

Just a heads up. I use a Rio 1700 water pump for a return pump from my sump. I turned it off last night to clean my skimmer out. When I turned it back on nothing happened. I took it apart and the magnet has grooves cut into it. When the pump is plugged in it wouldn't start up. I finally jacked with it for awhile and got it started up. I have always used a filter on the pump to keep stuff out and the pump is in a clean area with no sand or anything for that matter. I don't know how it got messed up but I think the design sucks and wanted to let everyone know. IMHO it's not worth the $$. I am going to upgrade to a better pump once I get some $$. Anyone have any suggestions for a 600ish gph internal pump????

Yeah theres a lot of crap surrounding Rio's lately. The most problems are with the 1700 and 2100's.

JJ

Btw I find the best remedy for that is to take the impeler and scrape it with some sand paper.

freakaccident

Thats what I did but I still had to use a screwdriver to spin the impeller to get it started. The impeller housing is scuffed pretty bad too. I can feel inside and tell that it isnt right. I know nothing from my tank got in there. I don't know if there may have been something in there already. I am just going to have to go through a bunch of crap to get it going until I get a new pump. I may buy a new impeller to see if it helps any.

i'm rio user but i agree they're pos. i relegate them to only PH's and do not use them as pumps. i reserve critical water movement for mag/danner's, haven't had an issue with one yet.

Archived