ReefCleaners.org

Aquarium Stand??

jdiver

I'm in the process of setting up a 28 gallon bowfront for my dad, and the only thing holding us back right now is that we can't find a suitable piece of furniture to put it on. He's very specific in what he's looking for due to where the tank is going, so we need something that is oak, and 36" l x 20" d x 36-40" h. Basically we've been looking at tv stands that have two doors on the front and 1 or two shelves inside. I know there are a lot of people on here in and around the Philly and NJ area, so I'm wondering if any of you might happen to know of a place to find such an item (we've already been to 10+ stores and looked at 50+ sites online), or know of anyone who would build it for a reasonable price. I know this is a rather obscure request, but I'm anxious to get this tank set up and it's frustrating that the stupid piece of furniture to put it on is what's holding everything up! :o

I hope that isn't a perfecto/topfin. I picked up one the other day because it was a cool tank and the perfect size for a simgle MH pendant. I took it back though. The silicone had small bubbles in it and the glass was the same thickness used on a 10-gallon. The tank was crap IMHO.

For $30 more, I am going to buy an Oceanic 37 Gallon SHOW tank. You can buy wonderful oak stands for these or not so pretty pine if you are looking for cheap.

Just a thought though. The reason you will have trouble finding a stand for these is because of their dimensions. They are really odd and only thier company makes a stand for them. You might try finding an oak stand for a similar size tank. I know that the oak stand for the Oceanic I am getting should work. The base of your tank is 24" x 12" (15" at the bow). The Oceanic stand is like 25" x 19" if I am not mistaken.

Hope this helps.

It is, in fact, a Top Fin aquarium. ??? I'll have to take a look at the silicone more closely. The tank cost $70 at PetSmart, and I haven't seen the 36 gallon Oceanic bowfront for less than about $200. I'm assuming you meant a rectangle 37 gallon tank as opposed to the bowfront? Thanks for the info and I'll have to take a closer look at the 28 gallon and other possible options.

It is a rectangular tank. The stand should work for your tank though.

I found the bubbles on the lower left front corner of the tank. Every tank they had was like this. I would not keep the tank if you find any bubbles in the seal. The glass is too thin for anything like that. I would exchange it if you do find any.

I think the glass is way to thin on the tank too. I would really hate to see someone put their hard earned cash and effort into a tank just for it to bust. Good luck with it though.

Thanks very much for the feedback on the tank. As far as the Oceanic stand, is it solid oak? How high is it? How much does it sell for? Thanks for the info.

25 x 19 x 32 is the size of the oaks stand and I priced it at $300 :eek:

25 x 19 x 27 is the size of the pine stand and I priced it around $105

You could get the pine and stain it to match. :) Or get the oak. I would look for other options for an oak stand if you want cheaper. :) The oak does come in some nice stained colors and you can get the tank to match it. :) Oak is usually expensive no matter what though. At least if you get an actual stand, you will know it will hold the massive weight of a reef aquarium. Other furniture is not designed to hold weight.

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/

$300 doesn't seem that bad actually for an oak stand. That solves that problem, now I just need to inspect the tank a bit more closely. Thanks once again. :)

One final question about the Oceanic stands, since I haven't seen them in person yet. Do they have a solid top on them, or does the aquarium rest solely on the edges of the stand? Thanks.

Good question. I *think* the pine stands are just support around the edges. I have no idea about the oak stand.

Oceanics number is (214) 320-6050 if you want to give them a call and ask. I am sure they could tell you.

Archived