Cultivated Reef

Taking Trip to Fla.

BHRay

I am taking a trip to Fla. from Ohio - goodbye snow! THe people that I will be visiting live on the Peace (I think) River in POrt Charlotte. I know that they catch snook, sailcats, and rays in the river there - so I guess it's SW to brackish. I was thinking of looking in the river to see if there is anything interesting to bring back from the trip for my 10g. Some live rock or other critters.

Is this legal?

Where do I look?

How to package and travel?

I'm not driving straight back, will prolly take about 30 hours.

Any ideas? Thanks

I live very close to Port Charlotte and have fished there many times. It's nice.

I believe it is against the law to take inverts, coral, rock, or sand from the beaches. I only found out about the sand last week.

Now, you can take shells and sharks teeth home, and if you want, a tan. Please leave everything else where you found it. The sand police will allow you to take as much sand as you can in your hair, ears and the crack of your !@#. They don't do strip searches.

If you have time visit Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota (30 miles north of Port Charlotte). It has pure white sand with the texture of flour. You won't find a better beach in the US.

Enjoy your vacation,

Cami

Sarasota, Fl

Yes it is VERY illegal to do that

it messes up the ecosystem thats why only certin people can take it from certin places

and if you where to take it and not get caught

it whould most certinly die 30 hours in the car

Have fun

-Matt

Thanks for the replies. I don't think that I will take any. Since it is wrong, with my luck, it would get into my tank and kill it off. I think I'll go with your advise. Any nano-reefers down in this area that would be willing to share some helpful tips to this newbie? I would be glad to see what you have done.

Archived