Innovative Marine Aquariums

Another new pico person.

Jenniah

I've had a green spotted puffer for a year whose 30g tank's salinity is recently up to full marine (and will go reef tank when I can afford it). And I was getting bored with keeping feeder shrimp in my 3g Eclipse. And I found this board. So, naturally, I'm starting a pico reef. (As if I needed another geeky obssessive hobby.) :happy:

I set the tank up two weeks ago with 3 lbs live rock.

3g Eclipse tank (will never buy an acrylic tank again, but the size and shape works perfectly for the space)

Penguin 100 HOB filter, no Biowheel

18 watt 50/50 PC bulb (hood cut and raised to accomodate the reflector and vent heat)

7 watt Hydor mini heater

Plexiglass tank cover

The cycle was surprisingly short; the rock was fully cured, in tanks, at my LFS and spent less than an hour in transit, so I suppose there was little die-off. Lots of critters in rocks and sand now. Levels at 0/0/5 for a week and a half now.

Yesterday I added two dwarf hermits and two small teal and purple Ricordia, and would like to add some zoes in a month or so. Not much to see now, and I need to play with the white balance on my camera.

post-21176-1152402457_thumb.jpg

I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the temperature stable; fluctuation from 82 (daytime, room and tank lights) to 79 overnight, but even the 7 watt heater brings it up to 84 at night with lights off. Perhaps a fan with the heater at night?

Suggestions for mounting a powerhead (Hydor Pico pump) that isn't equipped with a bracket or suction cups? Will silicone hold suction cups to the pump? Epoxy won't adhere to the cup bases.

This is a fantastic community and an incredible resource. You guys have saved me time, trouble, and money already. :P

Looking good -- maybe I SHOULD start my own cult or something

tagging along to make sure all my followers tanks are in good hands :)

You could always use magnets on the pump. It would work better IMO than the suction cups.

Good Luck!

Get a generic heater suction cup attachment ($1 @ Petsmart) and tie strap the powerhead to it. Magnets might interfere with the powerheads operation.

Nope, I retrofitted a PC bulb.

I think I'll try the tie straps. Happily there's plenty of circulation now, so the powerhead is backup for any corals that demand a lot of current.

The first diatom bloom started a couple of days ago, and pods (mostly cope-, a few iso-) have multiplied and are going to town on it. Found a couple of Stomatella snails and a very small mantis shrimp. It's fun to watch it snatching pods at night, but I'll get rid of it soon, I think. Hopefully. Nothing I've read here makes it sound like they're easy to remove...

Nope, I retrofitted a PC bulb.

I think I'll try the tie straps. Happily there's plenty of circulation now, so the powerhead is backup for any corals that demand a lot of current.

The first diatom bloom started a couple of days ago, and pods (mostly cope-, a few iso-) have multiplied and are going to town on it. Found a couple of Stomatella snails and a very small mantis shrimp. It's fun to watch it snatching pods at night, but I'll get rid of it soon, I think. Hopefully. Nothing I've read here makes it sound like they're easy to remove...

awww cool - I always wanted a mantis hitchhiker

Archived