Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

supllies for fragging and other forms of aquaculture

firefishbrain

firefishbrain

what else would I need have a list going, this is for everyone elses benifit too (if you are going to add on, pleez specify for what)

-dremel (carving and thin skeletons)

-razor blade (soft corals)

-pliers (thin skeletons like candy canes and sps)

-wet saw (thick skeletons like favia, trach, plate)

well that's all I can think of for cutting and here are other supplies

-super glue gel

-plugs or LR rubble

-rubber bands

-plastic tooth picks

Anyone know the prices of the cutting supplies...

- Toole (wedding veil)

- Sharp scissors (soft corals)

- Needle & thread (softcorals)

- Egg crate and PVC, if you plan tot do a prop tank

use it to hold the frag to the rock. once it's attached, snip the thread an pull it out. I personally like to use light test fishing line. It doesn't stick to the coral as bad as the thread does.

- Sharp scissors (soft corals)
try to get kitchen shears. these are usually very sturdy and very sharp (strong enough to cut tendon and bones). they allow for a quick snip and won't twist as often, snagging the coral between the scissor blades.

try to prep smaller rocks (keep them on hand) ahead of time to use as coral bases.

keep various sizes of rubber bands to allow for different sizes needed and different tension levels at different angles.

i'd suggest using carbon to adsorb coral "bleeding" or mucus produced from the extra handling.

try to do actual cutting outside of the display tank, in a smaller bin with sufficient hand-angle access though.

instead of a dremel you can also use a battery-powered nail filer. they're slower but cheaper. just make sure you put it back in your gf/wife's drawer.

proraptor2

You guys are forgetting the 2 most important tools for fragging, the tools I use the most out of anything....

The hammer and the chisel....Take the rock hit it with the chisel and you have a frag....done

firefishbrain

can't believe I forgot hammer and chisel, and I just realized I spelled supplies incorrectly on the title...

• 4 weeks later...

I heard the early pioneers of propagation chewed through the soral to frag resulting in bite-sized morsels of frag goodness.

Bandsaw helps make things easier.

safety glasses should be used.

i like to dip my corals after i frag.

A good mount or piece of rubble

oh and a friend to share the frags with.

Obsessed Reefer

Ha. I was about to post a thread about this. So It's best to do fragging in say a bucket that has the water that you just took out for a water change? Also, I know zoa's produce a toxin, should I frag them last, if I'm doing a long list of fragging, so the toxin doesnt harm anything else I frag in the bucket?

All corals will release stuff into the water when fragged...Make sure you wear some gloves and eye protection...

Obsessed Reefer

Ok. Will like... laytex gloves work, cus I have those big heavy duty aqua gloves, but they are hard to work with, but i guess practice makes perfect

you can also use those polybag-type gloves you use for food handling. much cheaper than latex.

you can also use grocery/produce bags if you're really cheap. keep a couple of empty containers and sw-filled containers for holding/transplanting. keep carbon on-hand as well after you frag for the coral slime and interior guts spewing out. blech.

Well isnt carbon for only if you frag it in the tank, or does it still 'spew' out after its on the new rock?
it'll spew from the open wound until it clots up, just like a human wound or tree wound would.

but beyond that, the coral will have also exuded coral slime from its skin, either as a moisture sealant (if you took it out of water) or as a defensive measure in some corals.

that's not even considering the coral "skunking" that may also go on in some (or all?) corals. i've actually sometimes seen the chemicals exude off some corals in reaction to just being touched. the chemical (whatever it was, terpene/sarcopene) looked like smoke trailing off the coral or how fw looks mixing in with sw.

these can be significant factors if you combine multiple types of corals and a small system. probably not an issue in a large prop setup (dilution) but for a 12-gallon tank with 30% volume taken up by LR/sand it can't hurt to run fresh carbon imo.

Archived