Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting,

Marie

Im setting up a 2ft tank soon and am thinking about getting a 20 watt Arcadia Marine Blue Actinic Tube and a 18watt Arcadia Marine White Tube.

Would this be enoughfor some low light corals?

Any suggestions on what would do well?

Marie

i'm assuming you already have the ballasts/sockets for these bulbs? if not, i'd suggest you try a combination of 55w power compact (compact fluorescent) bulbs over the tank. you'll be happier as will the coral :happy:

harbingerofthefish

Not familiar with the brand. Sahin lives on your side of the lake, so maybe can help you out a little more.

By 2' tank, I guess something like a 10 gal( or whatever that converts to in liters) . If you go with this lighting, shrooms, zoos etc... would be fine. I second the opinoin on upping a little. i would think the setting up into a hood with PC lighting would be easier and better in the long haul though.

Thanx,

A friend gave me 3 boxes full of her ex's fish equipment (he didnt want itB) ) which contained the light fittings id need for the above lights...

Does anyone know of a good supplier in the UK for PC lighting?

Marie

a 2 foot tank is along the lines of a 20 or 29 assuming it's a standard tank. I'm sure it's possible to keep some corals under that, but I'd definately recommend a bit more light.

Spudds.

I would agree with them on more lighting, and harbingerofthefish is right Sahin is the person to go to since he's alot closer you to and know more about the LFS on that side of the pond.

I'm not too clear on the size of your tank, can you give more detail please.

harbingerofthefish

personally, I would go for a 50/50 ratio, if not 3 blue to 1 white. But with NO bulds I'm not sure how 3:1 would look to your eye. The blue helps the coral (can't spell this early) "glow". Makes color a lot truer too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for your information, Marie, STM are in the UK and do a range of good quality lighting systems to suit all budgets and have recently added PC lighting to their online mail order page at http://www.stm-shop.co.uk and also sell Metal Halide lighting relatively cheaply and at a similar price to the PCs although this would involve a lot of extra cooling in order to maintain the temperature within sensible limits. They also sell their own systemised nano reef branded as the "STM Micro Reef" and have an extensive range of corals and possibly the largest selection of clams in the UK. Their site and retail store (in Sevenoaks, Kent) are well worth a visit.

Good luck with your tank

Chris

Nishant3789

ah guys.... marie has T5 lights... 2' tubes are usually 24 watts for T5 lights. i would go with 2 10000ks but thats just personal preference if u like the lbusih oook go for 1 10000k and one actnic. the actnics btw on T5s are BEAUTIFUL! very much light VHO actnics. hope i helped. yea so what u have now should be enough for your tank.

nishant

Archived