Innovative Marine Aquariums

New improved 40br w/ oceanic sump

scarf_ace1981

scarf_ace1981

If you didn't notice already i will be buying a 90g RR(cross fingers). This means my 40br will become my seahorse tank. i already have all livestock and equipment. everything from my 30xh will be transported to the 40br. here are the specs:

DSCN1717.jpg

Display:

40lbs LR

60lbs LS

Equipment:

175w SE coralvue 20k

large cpr aquafuge

mj1200

Sump:

oceanic sump

euroreef es 5-2

mag 5 as the return

Livestock:

trio of reidi seahorse

neon goby

citron goby

blue spot watchman

chalk bass

bicolor blenny

firefish

inverts:

skunk cleaner

2 harlequin

pistol

corals:

zoos

gorgonia

shrooms

softies(xenia,toadstool, sinularia,kenya)

rics

yuma rics

6" deresa clam

chalice

Fishfreak218

I cant wait to get my Seahorses...i just got there tank set-up yesterday and we are getting really good LR from LFS... the peice i picked out already has a purple gorg encrusted on it (with alot of growth).. once i get back from my vacation me and my dad are driving down to www.seahorsesource.com to pick mine up.... im so excited!

anyway we need pics! also where did u get your Seahorses from and are they captive bred? what seahorse do you have.. is it captive bred (rare but not un-heard of)

scarf_ace1981

yes i have two female tank raised black reidi. i payed $30 for each @ Fishtown in queens NY. they eat frozen mysis and brine. i'm looking for two yellow males. i have a friend who is a vendor and he says he may be able to get them for me for $65 ea. that was a relief cuz i think i saw them @ seahorsesource.com for $250-$300. i almost sh!t my pants.

• 1 month later...
scarf_ace1981

was walking the dog after work and on the sidewalk i see this huge heavy almost new dresser. right away the lightbulb went off in my head and i said whi not use this as the stand for my 40br. did i say this thing was huge and heavy!. ran home and got the little hand cart. came back took the eight drawers off the unit and put it on the hand truck. i thought the hand truck would fall apart but amazingly it did the job. i later came back for the eight drawers of which i will only use the fronts. it measure 49L X 25W X 39H. i emptied the inside leaving the center wall intact,well not really, since i cut out a hole in which my sump would fit. here are pics of the whole unit w/o the drawers and of the hole i cut running down the center brace.

scarf_ace1981

my ponies will only grow to 5-7 in. the tank is 16in. that's three times the height. i don't think it will be a problem. i have them in a 30xh now and they only use the top half ot the tank.

Fishfreak218
that was a relief cuz i think i saw them @ seahorsesource.com for $250-$300. i almost sh!t my pants.

naw..... thats not Seahorsesource.com ... theres were going for like 49.99 .. lol..

now Liveaquaria was asking like $400 a pair....

scarf_ace1981
naw..... thats not Seahorsesource.com ... theres were going for like 49.99 .. lol..

now Liveaquaria was asking like $400 a pair....

you're right it wasn't seahorsesource.com. i don't know why i wrote that. i can't remember the site right now but they wanted $250-$300 for red or yellow reidi. i spoke to this guy who is a vendor he can get the yellow males for $65.

i don't think they will get past 7". they are currently 4" so they have more than enough space.

• 3 months later...
scarf_ace1981

those are reidi. the two small females i got from fishtown in queens, ny($30ea) and the male i got(free) is originally randy's(pratt institue).

here is a pic of randy's tank @ pratt institute:

smallfts.jpg

and here's the thread LOTS OF PICS:

prattreef tank

scarf_ace1981

this thread has come to a sad halt. not only do i have to fight flatworms and nudibranch(haven't see any in a while) but i think my male reidi is on his way out. he hasn't eaten in a couple days and he's so weak that he can't swim correctly. i think he's dying i feel terrible.

they only last a couple years.

scarf_ace1981

even more sad news. not only does my male reidi have gas bubble andis considered a gonner but one of my female's jaw is locked in the open position. wth is going on?

scarf_ace1981

more updates

i've decided to sell the huge 8" clam i had in the tank. it was soaking up way too much calcium. i have three small ones but haven't decided which one is gonna take the place of the one i sold.

both my neon goby and firefish have disappeared.

i took the info from melev and put it to use. last night i went huntin' on these biatches!

1- tied a small media bag to some tubing and started siphoning out some of the evil doers

DSCN1762_902496.jpg

2- put the end w/ the media bag in the sump and let gravity do it's job.

3- end result(trapped!) sorry for the blurry pic

DSCN1763_795715.jpg

i will continue this process for the next week and then add FWE(flatwormexit) once i feel the numbers have dwindled to almost nothing.

this way the toxins from the dead flatworms won't create a big problem

Archived