SaltCritters.com

I think I got lucky

Aggie05

Well I know I said I was going to get two percs, but today I went to the LFS and found a pair of firefish for sale. Now, they weren't marked as a mated pair but they were in the same tank and were getting along great so I am assuming that they are a pair. I bought them instead of clowns because they are absolutely beautiful. They have been in the tank now for well over an hour and seem to love each other, no disagreements, and both were out in the open just a few minutes after being introduced. They are now both swimming around in the open. I also got them to eat already. So, if they happen to not be a pair, how long will it take before they start to fight? They seem to be very happy.

by the way, my nitrite and ammonia have been 0 for at least 3 days now, and they both spiked at a very high level. So it is done cycling.

Well its been a good 9 hours since they got introduced into the tank and there is nothing but love between them. They hang out right next to each other so I guess everything will turn out ok. Can anyone give me a estimate of a time limit on aggression showing up?

one of my firefish turned psycho after getting along well with the other for 4 months...i was just planning to get one but somehow LFS convinced me to get the two (there were two in the tank and i assumed they were a pair too--yeah right) They would love to swim in pairs on in groups but IME this is only true when theyre still small. When they get bigger God knows whats gonna happen.

Good luck. :)

They are pretty much full grown maybe a little more growing to go. The lights just went out and they both dove into the same hole if that means anything.

damn, dont tell me that. Well I guess we will see what happens. It is strange that they would get along for that long and then all of a sudden snap.

Does anyone know how to distinguish a female from a male? One of them has a significantly shorter dorsal fin than the other.

Archived