Cultivated Reef

sand problems

channah

In my 75G Fish Only, I'm having a battle between my tomato clown and the southdown sand. He is constantly kicking it up and the LR become covered with it. I need to add more for my DSB, but was wondering about something with a heavier grain to keep the setiment down. Any ideas? It's really annoying

forget it. If the tomato wants to dirty up the rocks, the clown will do it with heavier grade sand as well. Clowns will also pick rocks up with their mouths (can't do it with their fins) and place the rock where they think it looks best. I had a tomato that would do it so often that I banished it to a sump where it lived for about 9 months (eventually I gave it away).

i kinda agree with crak but you could try a sprinkling of crushed coral and a couple of strategically placed 'mini-boulders' to discourage digging. the clown may avoid the area and digging aspect if the available areas are too stony (i.e. uncomfortable).

you could then provide one small area with 'comfortable' substrate to corral/control its digging tendencies. hth

Archived