Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aiptasia eating cleaner shrimp

jdiver

I nuked an aiptasia (about 3/4" head on it) this morning with Kalkwasser and now my cleaner shrimp is chowing down on the remains. Has anyone ever heard of or seen this before? ??? My cleaner didn't go near the aiptasia when it was alive and healthy, but now he's feasting on it like there was no tomorrow.

Cleaners will tend to be scavengers of dead things when the opportunity presents. If you have a snail go, you can bet your cleaner will be trying to get his share of that as well. I had a margarita snail kick the bucket and there was a line to dine including a bumble bee, cerith, , hermit, cleaner, and even an interested gobie. I guess cleaners are a little too wussified to go after large living targets (IME).

I've had several snails die and the hermits, bristle worms, and bumblebee snails have feasted on them, but never the cleaner. Maybe his tastes have just become more sophisticated recently, or would that be less sophisticated since it's dead things? :)

Come to think of it I have had some astrea snails die and never noticed the cleaner after them. Maybe they do have some refined and sophisticated tastes and he only likes margarita snails. Then you kind of stop and consider that we are talking about eating raw decaying dead snail and it becomes hard to imagine one pile of decay tastes better than another. Or maybe I hadn't fed him as much around that time so he went after whatever he could get.

• 5 months later...

I have heard that Peppermint Shrimp won't go for really large aptasia. They go to town on the smaller stalks though. Maybe when you nuked the big one, it was finally the size for him to eat?

Mine took out the aptasia I had, but now lives right near the zoos. He is always walking over them but I haven't gathered enough evidence to yank him from the tank.

I'll never get mine out unless I put in a shrimp eater. My only other hope would be if the bta took them out.

so far I think they are leaving the zoos alone but they sure do spend a lot of time walking around them and picking at the rocks.

Same here. But, I have found that if I dangle some food around his cave, he comes right out to eat, so I am pretty sure I could grab him if I needed to.

I know I've said this before, but I had a pep that was eating my yellow polyps. I caught him with polyp in claw...munching away. Needless to say, he was taken out of the tank.

I guess that I have been lucky with my peps then. They have never touched my zoos, but do eat between them (on the rock area) frequently. I also think that my two have the best personality also :)

I did try to add star polyps and a larger Hawaiian feather duster one time, huge mistake. They were on it like stink on s---! Again, that was my error as I should have known better. I never tried to add yellow polyps to that tank, because I have heard that they go after them voraciously, like aiptasia.

I think the yellow polyps are too similar in appearance to the aiptasia. I've heard they go after anything polyp like. they are small brained, after all

Archived