Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My new pico

autumndawn1977

autumndawn1977

I finally got a set up going that I’m happy with. I got one of those air-tight canisters from Walmart, drilled a hole in the back and added a check valve to some flexible tubing to have a drain for easy water changes.

PicoCheckValve.jpg

Found a tiny pump and added that along with some live sand LR frags from the main tank. I think I might move it up higher though.

Piconolight.jpg

PicoRock.jpg

The light is a Red Sea Aquavase 7w, I figured that would be enough to keep some zoos and mushrooms.

FullPico.jpg

I want to add 2 hermits and 2 sexy shrimp and of course some zoos and shrooms. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Impressive :)

since I have a quart pico cylinder I'm working on I'm gonna tag along to keep tabs on this tanks progress too :) wish I could find a pump small enough to put in my tank (mainly to generate heat).

one question though -- how's the check valve going to help you with water changes? the way it's oriented in there it will only allow water/air to be pushed IN to the tank (unless you're just using it to plug the hose)

autumndawn1977
one question though -- how's the check valve going to help you with water changes? the way it's oriented in there it will only allow water/air to be pushed IN to the tank (unless you're just using it to plug the hose)

I can pull the check valve out of the tube and drain the water, then replace the check valve and no leaks.

irishtexan

Awesome idea! Will be following along. Are you going for the sealed pico? Can't wait to see it stocked!

texan

autumndawn1977

Thanks, I wasn’t necessarily going for a sealed pico rather for a unobtrusive desk pico that would cause less of an issue because it’s sealed than a full blown tank with hood and all.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived