Pod Your Reef

Heating 2.5g Nano?

jburke30

Hey All,

Over the weekend I setup a 2.5g nano to house a mushroom frag that was in danger of being eaten by my peperment shrimp. I find it funny that I would spend 30 bucks to save a $5.00 frag, but I've become quite attached to the little guy =).

The tank is a standard all glass 2.5 gallon (from petsmart), and for filtration I'm using an AquaClear-Mini w/100 micron mesh, carbon, and sponge media. I still havn't figured out the lighting (temporarly using one of the lights off my main tank), but I'm looking for one of those bookworm lights (can't seem to find them in my area though).

Anyway, the big problem right now is heating, and I wanted to know if anyone out there has had good success with a particular heater in a tank this small?

The main problem that I'm running into is that I want the heater to fit vertically in the tank, and most that I have seen are to long to do this in the 6-7 inches that I have to work with. I have a top-fin 50w might work, but it's a pain because the dial doesn't have any numbers on it. Is there a better one out there that will work?

Thanks for any info.

tetra tek mini heater, place it in the filter. if need be make a small plastic cage for it so it doesn't over heat and melt the filter (highly unlikely) when using such smallones.

lighting, 27 W55k PC and a 9 W actinic PC. CSL makes a retrokit. works awesome.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the info. I didn't see that particular heater when I did my google search, but I didn't really know what to look for. Thanks again.

brandon429 has a thread on reefs.org's nano forum about this. one suggestion posed was a cord heater used by fishermen(?) that seemed very applicable except for its considerable price tag (around $40~$50, i believe).

if you keep the room around an appropriate temp (70F~78F) the nano usually stays a few degrees warmer irregardless ime, that's w/o any addt'l cooling/heating tho.

Archived