Pod Your Reef

lfs sells funny things

Crakeur

At the store yesterday, I noticed a bottle on the wall that was marked live rock food. Well, this was funny enough until I overheard a gentleman ask about the food. He then proceeded to ask about the live rock. He wanted to know what type of tank it was for (fresh or salt) and then he asked how big the live rock gets. He asked if it was safe to house them in glass as they could easily smash the glass (people in glass houses etc.). The guy answering his questions wasn't sure if he was kidding or not so he had to maintain his professionalism. Hysterical conversation that I should have recorded.

a damned fine question. It is a liquid food that is meant to be consumbed by sponges and other filter feeders. Not unlike invert. gourmet gumbo and various other bottled foods. I just found the name funny and the conversation that ensued even funnier.

MiniMasterFlash

OK, now to defend this guy at the LFS... when i first started reading about salt water tanks and live rock, I got it in my head that the corals everone was talking about was within the live rock and actually made the rock. And I also knew that corals grow and build reefs.... I never got any idea in my head that live rock would "grow", but i don't think i would have had any problem (at the time) with a live rock growing and having to feed it. But hey, we are all noobs at some point huh?

Archived