SaltCritters.com

Beginner Setup

3twenty5

I was thinking of setting up a 10 gallon nano-reef

I used to have it run and have run larger tanks in the past.

I am thinking of getting the 2 x36watt light setup from http://www.ahsupply.com/..

then purchasing a 10 or 15 gallon tank. My ? is ...anyone ever buy from ahsupply or know if this light setup will be good? Also what is the most compact, cost effective filter for a nano size tank? And any other tips for starting off?

Thanks

Most people run no kind of mechanical/chemical filtration in their tank, using bacteria beds and sometimes a skimmer (some people switch mechanical and/or chemical filtration in situationally, but this is just the basics). HoB filters provide decent water movement and increase your effective volume of water, just clear out the media area and stick your heater and/or some live rock in there. On top of that you'll probably want a powerhead (or 2 powerheads if you don't go with a HOB filter) for a bit more water flow, but it depends on exactly what filter is used, etc. Of course there are other options like fuges and/or sumps, but the setup I describe seems to be the popular begginer set up.

Spudds.

Sorry for the dumb ?'s but what is the Hob Filter and where can I get one? Is there a way I can get a breakdown list of items I need to start this off?

thanks

HOB = Hang on Back

When someone writes HOB Filter they are using an abbreviation 3twenty5! :-)

Welcome to the forums!!! I'm jsut getting going myself although I have had some FW tanks in the past. Last night I primed a canopy for my 10g nano. Tonight I'll brush on the white interior. Hopefully by next week I'll be mixing SW in a rubbermaid tub!

Enjoy! ;)

Thanks..makes sens..duh. Well I am looking for something that is pretty low key inthe way of looks...where would be the best place to see some sampel HoB setups...

For starters... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_v...d=6&pCatId=3608

Certainly there are a buh-zillion other options too. Do a few searches using the Search feature above. Read up on them.

Many nano'ers do not use any other filtration other than the sand bed and LR. Some use a HOB for water movement only and remove the filtering material. All personal choice I guess! :D

Me? I'm going with a sand bed and LR only.

Have yourself a blast!!!

I'm very happy with my AHS lights. Sometime back there was a list posted for basic equipment needed. Use the search button and see if you can find it. You should also read the articles under the information section at the top of the board.

Archived