SaltCritters.com

Percula Clown Eating Trouble

Pets Shop Boy

Pets Shop Boy

I've been noticing that one of my percula clowns seems to have trouble getting food to stay in its mouth. Could this be due to a deformity of some sort? It looks normal to me, but often it takes about four or five tries to eat the same morsel. The other clown has no trouble and often gets the lion's share due to the other's apparent difficulty getting just one. If there are six bits, he only get's one by the time the other has gotten the other five. Sometimes he gets none.

He does eat, but I feel like I have to distract the one with food at one side and feed the other at the other side of the tank just to give him a fighting chance. I'm not sure there's anything more that can be done, but once again, if anyone has suggestions or possible explanation, I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, both clowns seem pretty healthy and getting along now (my earlier thread outlined my initial acclimation problems.)

Not likely you can do more than you already are for it if there is a problem. I wouldn't worry about it. You will find clown fish have some odd habbits and some fish will just mouth their food a lot naturally. I have watched my clown try to eat the same piece of his own pooh 10 times in a row so if yours is hungry he will figure out a way to eat unless his mouth falls off. You can always try a different food type. Frozen, pellet, flake, live....

Archived