inTank Media Baskets

star polyps

me03

I was thinking about adding a star polyp to my tank. Unfortunatly, the coral info data base will not provide pop-up on star polyps. How much light? What type of current? How hardy?

Anyone have answers?

medium current and moderate light. star polyps are pretty hardy.

they should do fine with your lighting but you might want to consider placing them in an area that won't allow them to grow all over your rock as they are fast growers and can overtake corals, polyps etc. I glued a frag of star polyps on the back glass and they are doing real well. Matter of fact, I'm thinking of clipping some off the back glass and putting it on the right side wall as well.

harbingerofthefish

just a note on GSP hardiness.

my first frag died off in aweek or so. It never really opened up well, and one day I noticed the mat being extremly dark. When I touched it, it crumbled. I just recently added another small frag to the same rock the originals were attached to. In a small hole there are 3 new polyps growing left over from the "dead" frag I took out 3 months prior.

I ordered some GSP online and it was shipped bad. A large section of polyps were crushed by the rock. It immediately began growing a white fungus and some cyano. With a serious amount of current over it and daily "flushings" of the white fungus, I'm beginning to see re-growth. 90% of the coral died off, but with a bit of patience it looks like it may recover.

freakaccident

My star polyps seem to be very sensitive to salinity changes. Even .0005 of a change can cause them to close up. I don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences but that is mine.

Archived