ReefCleaners.org

Hair algae...

flick

I know this has been asked hundreds of time, but ive got a situation guys...

My 15g tall FOWLR has a single ocellaris, and single chromis. Tanks 6 months old, has 3 margaritas snails, 7 blue legged hermits, all parameters are fine, lighting is only 1 wpg with a 15w 50/50 flurouescent aquarium bulb. Temp is 79, ph is 7.8-8...umm what else. I feed every night..small pinch of flake food, then every sunday frozen brine soaked in garlic additive... Some food gets away from fish, but cleanup crew gets it..or most of it. So, whats causing my hair algae? Its so long, that it flows, and sways in the water :huh: I do 3% water changes every sunday nights... and lights are on from 12 noon -10:30pm .... Thanks guys....

Flick ;)

You do 1.8 liter water changes? Seems like a strange amount. Bumping them up to 10-15% couldn't hurt. Rampant algal growth is a nutrient issue rather than lighting. Check for phosphates and nitrates. Increasing flow usually helps as well.

Are you running power heads near the bottom of your tank?

Ive got a Aqua70 Fuge with heater in it.. and LR... with bioballs... Then a maxi jet 900 in tank aswell... Gives great amount of current for a FOWLR tank, enough to have no water slime, clear water, and enoughf or the fish to swim against, but not enough that they will die of exhuastion... The powerhead is direction stright ahead, not pointing up, or down... bu you can see the cleanupcrew on sand bed fighitng current in some places... Is this what you were asking?

Flick

Like idog said, you could bump up the amount of water you change each time.

Also it might help to have the lights on a little less, although i don't think that is the heart of the problem. I have the lights on my 10g on for 9hrs a day.

Next you could probably cut back on feeding. I only feed my tank twice a week. Once for the fish, once for the coral. Every other day might help the H/A situation in your tank.

Lastly you fuge, if i remember correctly i think the bioballs after a while just end up becoming nitrate factories after a while of use. I would suggest trying to procure some chateo to put in the fuge along with your lr.

I had a H/A problem for months, and to some extent i still do. I did all the steps I just listed for you and eventually it started to subside.

Hope that helps :)

Great! Thanks a lot man!

So, i should remove the bio-balls... try and get some cheato... and reduce feedings? I feed a small pinch... and my clown looks skinny... bu i just fed him now, and now he looks perfect weight. So, i guess what im saying, is i feed them enough food that when they eat, they get plump, then within 24hours, or the next feeding comes around, they are thin and skinny...? Is that fine or.... Thanks again guys!

Flick :)

anyway, get a turbo grazer snail. he'll eat it all up.

I had a turbo snail for a while, never ate any of the hair algae. All the stupid thing did was knock my corals over.

Even if they do eat H/A i think they only eat it if it's real short. If it's real long and brownish and disguisting looking they wont touch it, at least in my experience.

Archived