inTank Media Baskets

Red Slime Algae in Fuge

jdavis28

Hey Guys.

I have a ton of red slime algae in my hob fuge. It is attached to my eclipse 12 gal. there is so much of it in the fuge that the flow is limiting and it is flowing over the cheato.

I put a bag of phosphorus to remove some of the phosphates to try to reduce the algae.

i can include pictures if you guys want. I have been trying to battle this for about a month or so with no real results.

Thanks in advance

mr. b

yes well that doesnt help me man. so how do i get rid of it? it is getting worse! there are however still pods swimming around in the fuge, which could be a good sign i guess

mr b

Chemiclean its done the trick for me, treat your display tank though it will carry over into your fuge. also remember to use an airstone while your treating.

I have red slime in my HOB fuge too, none in my main. I don't clean it, the pods are all over it eating it. The stomatellas eat a lot of it too.

chupacabras-

the nitrates are next to nil. in the 0-5 ppm range.

Idog-

my tank has been setup for a long time and i have never had the red slime up until about 1.5months ago when i setup the fuge in a hob filter. so the tank isnt too new.

joshua-

chemiclean? will that remove the red slime without any adverse effects?

andre-how do u know the pods are eating it? and what is a stomatella?

thanks all for the good info, please keep it coming

thanks in advance

mr b

Chupacabras

Just nail it with chemi-clean then... it's reef safe and will knock the cyano on it's toosh. I'd normally just say increase flow, of course you really can't in your 'fuge so just blast it since I can't really see anything obvious causing your woes.

sweet man i will try that.

what is chemi clean?? I read the product info on marinedepot. Still dont understand what it is.

is it a natural supplement that kills the cyno and red slime algae? and what makes it different from erythromycin?

Mr. B

Archived