Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chiller reviews

justin699

I used the Search button first, No similar thread was done before that showed in my results.

Its hot here in Northern California in the summers. During the day my place gets to almost 90 during the day and takes a while to cool off. Anyhow, with lights and the whatnot the tank is going to be too hot. Tank is a 20 high. I am thinking that a micro chiller wont' be enough to keep the tank out of the 80's during the day so I was thinking about a regular flow-thru chiller. Anybody have feedback on chillers they have used to heard about? I have looked at Teclima and JBJ and some others. The world of chillers is new to me.

hiiiiii,

what type of lights do you have/planning to put over that tank? a well ventilated hood shouldn't add too much excess heat. your indoor ambient temperature gets to 90? i'm in los angeles and i think it gets hotter down here and fans are the way to go IMO. keep the air above the water moving and you should be fine (don't let heat accumulate). HOB filters also add to evaporation (cooling effect) by generating a high surface area in their waterfall returns. you can in theory magnify the cooling affect by directing a small fan @ the overflow too ;)

even though i'm a strong supporter of JBJ equipment ( i sell their lights! ), i'm going to say, pass on the JBJ chiller... for now. i personally would hold out for a model (brand) that's proven itself. jbj chillers are a relatively new product.

ps:

1. your poll is silly.

2. so is the "i searched first... i swear!" (neither necessary)

good luck :happy:

microchiller works like a charm. pulls down 10 degrees, as advertised. for the money, it's your best bet. Teclima (I think that's what it's called) works well too but they are pricey and are geared towards slightly larger (30 gallons) tanks

Thanks Adin, poll was supposed to be silly. I never swore to using the search button but it was to keep certain people from having a coronary, it seems to have come to that. Feedback about chillers is appreciated. As for the microchiller I have heard that it will chill a 10 gallon 10 degrees, but I would assume that would mean a 20 gallon only 5 degrees if it was working all the time. Did I assume right?

Archived