jay2k2

1st corals?

jay2k2

What do you recommend and what was your 1st coral. I am getting a free frag of a tree coral from my cousin. But what would you recommend for a 1st coral. i have 25 gallon with 60watts!

SLOreefer

mushrooms and polyps. other than those my first was capnella(kenya tree) and after that it was xenia then blaustomosa and candy cane or trumpet cral. also some green stars

Gehrisch

I started with a little Sarcophyton, then Xenia, then mushrooms, then a tiny colt and some star polyps.  

JGoslee

Yellow star polyps was my first.

My Alife 7

green star polyps, easy first coral.

printerdown01

Shrooms, stars, xenia, sarcophytons, and leathers are all good to start off with... The key is to do your research before you buy the peice! Know the requirements, and then place it in the tank, where ever it would be best suited...

jay2k2

I was thinkin about Green Star Polyps?

SLOreefer

great choice. very easy to keep.

printerdown01

Green stars are a good place to start, they are easy to care for, grow quikly, and are very beautiful! -Go for it!

texan1

That is a good choice, just don't be discouraged IF they don't open for a few days.  Give them time.

jay2k2

alright thanks for the replies now all i have to do is get a ride to the fish store lol

mmarquis

Another nice coral that I don't hear championed much are clove polyps.  I have found them very hardy, fast growing, and very, very easy to frag (just pull some apart!).  And no I don't work for Clove Polyp.com! :)

printerdown01

Hey mmarquis, when you are talking about clove polyps are you reffering to clavularia or anthelia? The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at buying some anthelia when I get back to the SF Bay Area, this weekend... So I would be interested in your take on them!!

Sahin

Cool, I am starting my own reef very soon.

This thread is very helpful to me. :)

jay2k2

i ended up buying yellow polyps they look sooooo cool!

and they were the same price anywas thought i would inform you!

pam

Sahin I'm new too and your right you cant get info like this anywhere else