Cultivated Reef

need help with with algae

ffjim811

ok here is the problem i have dark red strands of what i think is algae growing on my LR, just wondering if it is good or bad algae the stuff goes away when my lights are on and over night when lights are out it grows like crazy,just wondering what type this is. my lights are 2- 28 watt pc aqualights,if this is bad algae what critter will eat it? thanks for any help jim:*(

Keng Yew, Leong

What do youmean that they are gone when your lights are on?Does that mean they will dissappear almost immediatly when you turn on the lights and come out when the lights are off.Never heard of a nocturnal algae before.

what i mean is the strands of hair will slowly go away through out the day until no more are seen then about 2ta 3 hours after the lights are out this stuff comes back in strands of dark red or maroon type hair strands i dont no what this is

bump

are they really thin like hair strands and moving a little or are they web-like and velvety? there's a worm (related to the spaghetti worm? but not nearly as thick tentacle-wise) that feeds by throwing its (hair-like) tentacles across the rocks and a variant is red.

your specimen (if that's what it is even) may just be primarily nocturnal. the ones i've seen don't usually give a hoot tho.

otherwise it could be another web-exuder that's nocturnal and the 'webbing' is reddish. or maybe you've got ambient light that's feeding cyano after-hours ???

they are velvety and maroon in color and attached to one side of my rock with a base of about 1/2 inch in dia. with the strands coming off of it,also the stand are kind of thick,not single strands so anyway i dont no what this stuff is lol. i checked other sights about algae and couldnt find any pics of it.

Archived