Top Shelf Aquatics

Flow help on a 55g

rleon3003

so, i have a standard 55g (48x13x21) and i need help with the water flow. for the main return pump i have some kind of pump that pumps 700gph. the outlet is a y connector for locline and i have the outlets shooting different direction. i get a lot of algae on the sand and the walls. should i get some more pumps? i was think a MJ900 or 1200 or both. any help? is that good enough flow or should i get the powerheads?

That is not good enough flow... Buy 2 seio 620's and you will be set

yea, i just saw those on a website and theyre pretty kool and save money wen it comes to the power bill. ill try to get some. a question about those pumps, does the water that is pumped out pumped like it would be out of a maxijet as in its a stiff exit or does the end of the nozzle rotate or something like that? in other words, does the water that is on its way out, does it rotate thruout the tank or just pump in the direction of the nozzle?

so i saw these on marinedepot.com. somewhere around $40 for one. thats not too bad especially if theyre gonna save me money in the long run. i think the water outlet nozle thing does swivel from right to left so the water is pumped in more than one direction. so now my question is, where should i put these pumps if i get them? i have algae on the sand and sides. on the right back side of the tank i have the overflow box that also has the 2 outlet nozzles. (its now 3 nozzles cuz we added another y connector but the water flow is too low so i think were gonna get rid of it) i was thinking of putting one in the back left side of the tank to push the water towards the front and right of the tank. and then i could put the other one in the front rite corner in front of the overflow box in the middle of the tank so some movement could get to the sand. how would that work?

proraptor2

When you get them mount them Tunze style with no nozzle or cage on them then you will get a nice broad stream coming out of them...They work great...

Archived