Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is Maxi-Jet 1200 flow too strong for 90g?

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

What flow do you have in 90 gal or similar size tanks?

I bought Maxi-Jet 1200 (~295gph), because it was frequently described as used for a big tanks. After setting tank for fishless cycling, it seems to me that flow is too strong for a fish. Is this subjective feeling, or somebody also thinks so? Recommendations on flow rate for this tank and powerheads locations, please?

On the other side, I have Maxi-Jet 600 (160 gph) in 6 gal tank, flow is strong but bearable for fast-moving fish.

Thanks.

I have a MJ1200 in my 24g Cube (w/ a Hydor) and the flow isn't too strong. I think it would be fine in a 50g. I also have a Azoo in the same tank w/ a duckbill and again the flow isn't too strong. Remember, there will be areas in the tank where the flow isn't too strong.

Don't worry about the fish until the flow pins it against the glass. :D

not at all..

i saw one guy had 6 maxi jet at his 55 gallon..

just try to make indirect flow to the coral..that will be ok..and fish will love it..

its all about positioning powerheads in tanks. I have four maxijets in my 40 gallon breeder (three 900's and a 600). I dont have any sand storms or extreme blowing or corals. Fish are swimming around happy as ever.

I have two maxijet 1200 on my 90 and it's not enough flow get something bigger like like what proraptor2 suggested.

non-photosynt

Thanks for the replies, feel easier now. Two more questions:

- It's usually recommended to have several powerheads in the tank, rather than 1-2 powerful (or closed loop outflows). How much for 90g (or for your tank, to get the idea)? I have already Maxi-Jets: 2x1200, 600 and 400. Can buy Seyo if will know where it fit in total picture. Is it good, BTW?

- Where to place powerheads in the tank that is planned to be FOWLR (plus macroalgae and later, only if I will be able to keep water clean, soft corals)? Including the one that flows along the bare bottom periodically - to prevent sediment accumulation?

proraptor2

You will be fine with 2 seios, you dont need a bunch of different powerheads as it will just heat up your tank...

Seio powerheads are awesome!

I don't know how DIY savvy you are but since you have the maxi jet you should try this mod. A friend modded one of his and the flow that thing generates is insane. I'm going to mod my maxi jets this weekend.

Here is a link. maxijet mod

Besides the maxijet I have a little giant 4 hooked up to my close loop. My tank has two returns on the lower half of the back glass. They are hooked up to a spray bar the runs behind the rock work. This keeps my rock pretty clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived