Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting options/opinions for new nano.

Centrek

I'm planning on setting up my nano tank pretty soon, but before I do that, I'm going to need to get my lights.

I can't seem to decide which lights to go with, but right now i'm opting for MH, just don't know which type or intensity, but PCs are also an option too.

Maybe you guys can help me decide.

I have an 18gal cube made by Acrylicman. It has the false wall with the sump behind it. The whole tank is 15x15x15 cube. The actually display area is 15x12x15high. I plan on keeping SPS and maybe a clam in this tank.

This is the tank:

attachment.php?s=&postid=17328

Now my options.

1. I have a 75gal that has 4x96w PCs on it. I can take one ballast, which is a dual 96w off my 75gal and use it on this nano with 2 of those 96w PowerQuads which i'd have to go buy.

2. I can go over to Hellolights and get their 150w Iwasaki 50,000k setup. I could swap the 50,000k for a 6500k bulb with that too for the same price.

3. I could get a 250w setup from Hellolights with either a Iwasaki or Ushio 10k.

4. This option i'm not sure about, just cause it'd take me forever to get enough money for this, but I could save a lot and get the PFO Mini-HQI 150w Pendant.

I'd most likely build a canopy for all of these installations, with the exception of the PCs, i might try to use the canopy that it comes with.

So which of these do you think would be the best bet for me to grow SPS?? And please, if you have any other thoughts or options for me to look at, share them with me. All your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Also, this light needs to be enough to grow SPS in this 18gal tank, but it also needs to be alright for a 10gal if it was put over that tank. I'm planning on taking this down to school next year when I transfer, and they said that they allow up to 10gal tanks in the dorms. So I might have to put these on a 10gal after a while if they don't like my 18gal cube.

I'd be kinda careful with halides on that tank because it's acrylic meaning it will retain heat very well compared to glass. Keep the light like 9" hight with plenty of fans and high evap. Or invest in a micro chiller. You can't keep those 96w quads on your tank because the length of the bulb is 18" I think. Go for a 175w 10k MH with like 2 actinic flourescents.

thanks for the quick reply nanoreefer.

yea, i was kinda thinking that about the PCs too, but was kinda thinking i could make it work. :)

so you think a 175?? the 250s aren't much more expensive than the 175s tho.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Thanks!!

My 18 cube is on the way too. I ordered two 28 watt PC's for mine and may order two more if I decide I need them. Hello Lights has some 70 watt MH's if you decide you need something smaller.

105 views, and only 2 people respond?

c'mon, help me decide. I've never had MH before, so i don't know what to get.

If the ones I listed were not good options, throw out some others for me please.

Thanks

I was hoping for a little more info too. FedEx is supposed to deliver my tank today and I hope to have the PC's in the hood by Saturday. I will post some pics once I get the bulbs fired up. Do you have the tank yet? Are you planning on keeping the hood that comes with it or are you going to build a new one?

Archived