Innovative Marine Aquariums

3g Picotope

The Fisherman

The Fisherman

Hi all, I am new to this forum, but not at all to fishkeeping. I have been fishkeeping all my life (I am 17 lol), and I speacialize in tetraodontids (pufferfish). I am actually a mentor over at www.thepufferforum.com . I am experienced in FW,BW and SW, but I am new to corals.

Currently I have a zoanthid and toadstool frag under standard flourescents in my 55g SW tank, but I am about to buy a 3g picotope to move the corals too.

so far I am going with: all that the tank comes with . (tank, filter, 9w light)

25 watt submersible heater

Live sand, from my main tank

about 3 lbs fo LR ( I wnat to form a bit of a coral wall)

seed the tank with bio-max from my main tank

livestock: Zoanthid frag, moved from maintank

toadstool frag, moved from maintank

I want to add a frogspawn frag too, but I wasnt sure what all I could put in there. maybe some mushrooms? bubble coral? please give me ideas :)

I am also going to put a emerald crab in there, and maybe a hermit or 2. nothing too much. definitely no fish. I want to keep it mainly corals, with a few interesting critters.

basically I am asking what I can put in a standard 3g picotope with a 9w light.

thanks!

-John

The Fisherman

hmmmm, I am thinking about the galaxy light II. Would it fit in addition to the 9 watt light? I am just curious as to how it would work.

Is a pom pom crab the same thing as a decorator crab? I have never seen a pom pom crab before. Joshua, your link doesnt work.

Do you think a toadstool and frogspawn get too big and aggressive for a pico 3g? I could always frag them if they got too big. I am guessing I would have to change the carbon regularly, but with a filter that small, it shouldnt be a problem.

What do you think about a fission nano protein skimmer?

thanks!

Fishfreak218

in my 2.5g pico i had numerous ricordea, frogspawn, bubble coral, fox coral, mushrooms, zoanthids, and feather dusters...

i say the fission stinks.. and i think you could get a toadstool and frogspawn.. just have to frag them or trade them in for smaller ones later on.....

a pom pom crab is alot nicer and smaller then a decorator crab IMO..

http://www.kups.org/to.pompoml.jpg

there is a picture of a pom pom crab that is carrying eggs (the red/orange thing)

The Fisherman

wow, that pom-pom crab is so cool looking! how big do they get?

when you say numerous frogspawn, do you think I could get say, 2 smaller frogspawn frags?

heres what im thinking so far:

Pink zoanthids (which I already own)

Toadstool (I also already own)

Mushrooms

bubble coral

yellow polyps

2 or 3 tiny frogspawn frags

I would frag everything when it got too big. I was planning on daily top offs, and daily WCs, just swapping some water from my main tank to the pico.

hmmm, would a pom-pom get along with a hermit or 2? or do you think hrmits wouldnt be nescesary?

The Fisherman

do you mean my other tanks, or the pico?

If you mean the pico, I dont have anything yet. I ordered a heater, and I should be able to buy the pico setup in a few days.

Fishfreak218

um.. i meant numeroous ricordea... not the other stuff.. but if you found it small enough.. and kept it a little far away from the other coral it would be fine... but hold of..... try ur hand with the mushrooms and zoanthids for a while... then later on get Frogspawn

I believe the Pom Pom crab only gets a max of 2 inches. which would be just fine in a pico, and will get along just fine with hermits.

The Fisherman

I priced everything out, and I decided to go with a 10g instead of a picotope. Its only about 30-40$ more expensive, but gives me 3 times the tank volume.

Gives me more choices on corals too. other then corals, I want to keep a pom pom crab, and a CB shrimp.

I also found a 20" 32 watt PC light for 50$.

hehe, now I get to scheme up what all I can put in there....

I'm thinking my toadstool and zoanthid, 2 frogspawn, yellow polyps, mushrooms, and maybe a bubble coral. basically my original idea, but with a more likely chance of it actually working.

Fishfreak218

i wouldnt get a CB shrimp.. they are mean fookers..

:lol:

deffinatly a Skunk Cleaner shrimp is a better choice.... they are always out and about... and entertaining JMO though...

The Fisherman

I have another new plan:

10g tank

penguin 200

hydor 25 watt heater

LR and live sand

satellite 32 watt 20" PC light

I'm thinking about leaving my toadstool in my 55g since it is doing fine, but moving my zoos to the 10g.

I will keep the tank euphilid, and the zoo will be mty one-off coral. I plan to get frogspawn, a bubble, and a torch.

Archived