SaltCritters.com

Inflamation? Infection?

One Eyed Bunny

One Eyed Bunny

My Six-line wrasse, a new addition, seems to have a small series of under the scale bubbles on his right side, just under and behind his right pectoral fin.

The skin looks brighter than the rest of him and I'm wondering if this is from irritation or possibly inflamation? I cannot find any visible lacerations along the area however the scales are bubbled.

Is this unusual with six-line wrasse or does it sound like some sort of pathogen/infection? If anyone has any suggestions or further questions I'll try to reply as fast as possible. I'm going out with my girlfriend tonight, although I'd rather stay home and may sure my fish is alright, so I will return replies as quickly as possible.

Other then the noticeable bubbling he is slightly less active and explorative than yesterday, but his feeding is certainly not changed. He attacks his twice-a-day feeding of mysis shrimp.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of or seen under-scale bubbles on any fish, I'm really not sure what to make of that.

As for red colored flesh, that could very well be a bacterial infection and yes, they are usually from lacerations. Usually good water quality and vitamin enriched (try Selcon) foods will clear it up without need for medications. Since the fish is still voraciously eating that sounds like the way to go.

Otherwise, my only wonder about the bubble-type thing going on is whether you ordered the fish online and had it shipped. that could have something to do with it if that is the case, but i dont know.

a photo, actual or representative, would really help.

best of luck. Sixlines are hardy and should survive most stessors. Awesome little fish. :D

Archived