SaltCritters.com

chilling a nano

BRIANSTINYREEF

BRIANSTINYREEF

whats better for a 7 gallon nano as far as chilling it. a micro chiller form marine depot? or a ice probe?suggestions the summer is approaching and i have a office nano want to protect it

i've always used a deskfan and lots of top-off to cool down my office nanos. thanks to physh's auto top-offs it should be a LOT easier this summer. :happy:

i've been cobbling together heat sinks and cpu fans wired into the light timers as a way to address the light-induced heat. basically similar to the ice probe, probably not nearly as effective but also not nearly as expensive too. hth

float soda bottles w/ frozen ice water on top the tank, or bottles stuffed in yer HOB filter. much cheeper than a lame un needed device... UNLESS you live in a desert area and don't have central air or AC in yer house......

looking at your location... CT, no big deal. ;)

besides, floating a few frozen bottles of pepsi is so awesome looking. Maybe a clown will take the bottle as a host.

Dave, if someone wants to spend the money on a device that clearly works, why make it sound like it's a bad thing. The hob chiller not only cools down the temp but it gives added water flow and is far less ugly than some soda bottles floating in the tank. Of all people, I would think that you would respect the visual intrusion a bottle of soda puts on a purty reef.

Not trying to start a fight here (ya know where my allegiance lies pal) but I think that if someone has the means to purchase something that, aesthetically, wont' harm the tank, why make him or her feel bad about that? I live in NYC and I have one of those chillers (it gets well over 90 degrees in my apartment in the spring, forget the summer - unbearable.

Ok, stepping down off the podium and crawling back into my hole.

nah I agree, it IS usefull, but not absolutely necessary for some one in a house that stays climate regulated.

as in MY apartment, it gets quite warm, and instead of spending over 2 grand on chillers for all mytnaks, it was far cheeper to cool the ENTIRE apartment....

you think I'm cranky here sometimes... you should see me when I'm all irked and bent about a 89 degree apartment and 90 % reletive humidity at 5 PM after I come home from working all day... LOL.

NO, the 3 AC units was the way to go. F- the fish. I WANT TO BE CHILLED ! heheheh.

see, I normally have my ac on in the winter. My apartment gets that hot. Sadly, the baby can't handle the ac so we are forced to deal with the heat now but, in the past, I have kept the ac running almost 24/7 and it still didn't keep the tank from over heating. So, I bought the chiller. I agree that spending thousands on chilling multiple large tanks is a ***** (spent a ton on the one in the office as leaving the ac on all weekend costs more than a few hundred bucks each month) but for a small tank, the microchiller (or iceprobe) works wonders and doens't ruin the tank. Remember, these are small tanks and a soda bottle will impede the visual effect.

Unfortunately, I was in the mood to battle ya and you clearly weren't up for my baiting. I tried.

nah, I like to fry "teh funnah fiesh'ards"....

ur too smart to be galled into posting silly MS Paint images.....:rolleyes:

hmmmmmm perhaps that is because you can umm..... read STOP signs....

stop26thinkb4posting.jpg

and uhh... actualy comprehend them. :happy:

Keng Yew, Leong

I live in Malaysia and my country was the second hottest place in the world a few years back.(Rio de Jenerio in Brazil was the hottest).So the temperature is around 84-90 all year round.Corals can take quite a bit of extra heat for a while once a year just like in the wild,they tolerate high temperatures during summer in the southern of northern hemisphere which affects the temperature of the sea around the equator.(thats the place most corals come from).For me I just have 2 cpu fans on my nano plus around 10 hours of air cond.If it gets too hot,just use a normal gigantic fan to blow your nano.The temperature can go down by 2 C just by that.

I've been using an IceProbe on my 5 gallon to cool the effects of 52 watts of heat. It works great. I'm running it on the same timer as my lights and depending on my heater to compensate for low end temp (no controller needed).

The people at Coolworks are a very nice bunch also. I recently had a spill on my power supply and needed to quickly replace it. They were very helpful in resolving my problem as fast as possible.

-Rogue

If a chiller works and you dont mind the $$ go for it. But I would put ice in a zip-lock bag and put it in your HOB filter. This is less visible.

JJ

• 2 weeks later...

I may be a newbie, but I know this. If you can afford to cool your tank, you can afford to cool your home. We're talking about apartments here! For a couple of hundred bucks you can get an AC that will bring a room down to the point where you need a sweater. When I lived in LA, our AC broke down, and I went home only once in the week it took to get the repair man there. I could barely breath it was so hot. I've lived on the east coast and I know how humid, and freakin hot it can gat in the summer. And actually , how the hell can you justify the cost of an aquarium, if you can't afford a freakin AC you phsycho? That is why I'm surprised as to how many people I talk to that want to get chillers for their tanks, and not for them. We are talking nanos here, if you can't put an AC in the room that your tank is in, why not move it the bedroom when you do a water change in May? You will make your life, the life of anyone you may have sex with, and the life of your finned friends much more enjoyable. I KNOW there are exceptions, F-wad landlords, etc....But I'm just talking to the people that can afford chillers. GET AC. The rest of us, like my self, will use frozen water.

not really, i say that to make me look humble after being an a-hole, i don't even need chillers...hee,hee.

not sure who that tirade was directed at but I will state again that my air conditioners, which are all a year old, work wonders on cooling down the room but the tank remains hot. Plus, the baby needs a warmer room so we can't keep the ac on all the time (normally the whole apartment is like a meatlocker 24/7).

If you can afford it, get a microchiller, ice probe or even the teclima(I think that's what it's called). added water flow, excellent chilling and no temp worries.

I put my chiller back on the tank last night as it is starting to get hot here in NYC.

Actually you are right . I just wanted to vent. Who wants to live in a freezer, and direct lighting and an under water heater won't be effected that much any way. BUT I DID HAVE A POINT. And that is, the level you have to go to, to reduce temp., can be very much effected by room temp. I say try the easiest, zip-lock bags o' ice. If not fans on your hood. Lastely, I feel an IceProbe is your best bet. My original point is though, Is the ROOM cool-downable? Go from there. If you do not have AC on the room your tank is in, add it. Go from there, I'm really drunk, otherwise I would have said that from th e beginning.

friends don't let friends drink and reef.

perhaps you should stop doing shots with the patrons.

Actually, a cool room should help bring down the temp somewhat but it is nowhere near as effective as fans on the tank, ice bags or a chiller.

The chiller wasn't a huge dent in my pocket and it was way more effective and easier to deal with than bagging ice, expecially since I spend weekends away from the tank in the summer months. The chiller allows me to go away and not worry about the temp. Top off is still required and, assuming my order from cameron actually makes it this time, I will have that issue taken care of.

The thing that gets me is that all you guys are complaining that the guy should be able to cool his house/apartment. Did anyone notice the part about it being a OFFICE nano, and that maybe on the weekends like most buildings if not in use, that the AC is shut off and it may get very hot, regardless if he has an AC in his home or not.

Archived