inTank Media Baskets

Anthelia issue

The Hound

Morning all,

I have a great clump of anthelia that has been doing really well, spreading and it always poofed out. However I came into work Monday morning and it was all pulled in and there was a layer of algae across the top of it.

The only thing different between Friday and Monday is I added an Emerald Crab to the tank to fight some bubble algae (he hides most of the time so I don't think he has touched the anthelia...it doesn't look like it has been disturbed) and I increased the lght time by two hours. I wanted to make sure that the Emerald had plenty to eat.

Do you think a mere two hour increase in my light time would increase algae growth so much that it is keeping my Anthelia from poofing out?

I have since reduced the light time back to where it was and do my best to clear all the algae away from the Anthelia...but it still no where near where it was. Maybe only a couple of stocks are actually out.

Yeah two hours plus the extra bioload from the crab probably gave the algae an extra little push. Especially if you already had a slight algae problem, like your bubble algae. Plus the emerald crab removing the bubble algae just frees up the nutrients it would have used up and made them available for other even less desirable types of algae. Adding livestock to eat algae might control it a little, but you need to control the cause of the algae too.

We'll need to know three things:

1) What size tank is it and what livestock do you have in there?

2)Do you feed and if so how much, how often?

3)Do you run a fuge w/macro?

Archived