Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Strange Phosphate scenario

MVS

I posted this question in the general section but have yet to receive a response so I’ll give this section a shot….

…I’m not exactly sure how to interpret the following test results:

My aquarium’s Phosphate level: 0

Batch of saltwater made a few weeks ago that’s currently aerated and heated for water change: 0

Half a gallon worth of water that’s in a container with a rio600 for top offs: 1pp???

The confusing part is all the water indicated above comes from the same source, Poland Spring’s distilled.

I just tested a fresh bottle of PolandSpring’s distilled and got a reading somewhere between .5 – 1ppm.

I’m just not sure how one should interpret this finding? Since the distilled water has some traces of Phosphates, how is it eliminated in my tank and a newly made batch of SW? Is it possible that somehow the salt, tropic Marin in this situation, eliminates the phosphates?

On a side note:

Both the top off water and the pre made saltwater is hanging around for sometime; actually, the saltwater is contained for a much longer period then the top off.

Additionally, I was running Purigen until today; just swapped it out for Chemi-Pure however, my LFS informed me the Chemi-pure will not do a thing for Phosphates.

…anyone willing to explain this one and make a recommendation?

it's probably the high pH of the salt mix that binds the PO4 into an inert form much like it would bind into if you were using kalk. kalk precipitates PO4 into an inert compound (not sure of the chemical formula) but it usually stays bound and inert.

but occasionally, an enzyme/catalyst releases the bound up PO4 via some introduction from the wild or another tank and results in a significant release of the PO4 in a short period of time. PO4 doesn't "disappear" or evaporate when you're dosing kalk or high pH levels occur. it's just locked away for a while. and unfortunately, sometimes it gets paroled. :o

this happened to lunchbucket (at least that's what i believe happened to him) in one of his tanks (the 20H?). all of his stonys basically died before he thought to test for PO4. he dosed kalk at one time (not sure if he did at the time of occurence) and probably had bound up PO4 released thru the catalyst/enzyme.

i've also heard that the TM also uses some PO4 binding agents (aluminum based binding agent?), so that could also be a possibility but i'm not sure of that. i think there's high pH levels of freshly mixed TM (although i'd be surprised if it were as high as kalk ~ pH 12). so maybe it's the binding agent (if there's one in TM).

or, your test kit could be fugged up. :P

Very interesting and thanks for the feedback. Do you have any recommendations on how I should proceed? Is it dangerous to continue using PS Distilled? I really can’t afford a RO unit at this time so perhaps I should use Seachems Phosguard?

PS If you don’t mind me asking, what profession are you in? You’re obviously very involved in the scientific technicalities of reefing.

Do you have any recommendations on how I should proceed? Is it dangerous to continue using PS Distilled? I really can’t afford a RO unit at this time so perhaps I should use Seachems Phosguard?
well, your salt seems to be binding it (if what i described is occuring) so i wouldn't worry too much. just use the mixed water and dump out any granules that precipitate at the bottom. usually, those are just calcium carbonate grains though.

If you don’t mind me asking, what profession are you in? You’re obviously very involved in the scientific technicalities of reefing.
i'm an adult entertainer but i always stay at a holiday inn express when i tour. :mellow:

jk, :P actually, i'm in plastic manufacturing.

but all this vast reef knowledge that i possess is derived solely from years of monkey-see/monkey-doing and money spent aimlessly at my tanks. :tears:

i've wasted all that money, so you don't have to. *smacksforehead* d'oh!

Thanks TR

lol...adult entertainer…too bad you’re not a woman like OneArt assumed…just kidding.

I guess it’ll be ok for mixing, I’m now concerned about toping off.

Thanks again

I guess it’ll be ok for mixing, I’m now concerned about toping off.
maybe keep a phosphate pad or po4 adsorbing media and put it in the top-off container like you would a carbon pouch in your setup.

or use kalk as your top-off. just be careful not to increase your pH too much if you evaporate a lot.

I was thinking of adding a Nitrate sponge of some sort but have some concerns with this:

1- The possibility that it could offset my PH, i.e. I think that Kent has a product but I heard that such media can fluctuate PH levels.

2 – If I place the media in the container housing a Rio600 for my top off, there’s really no momentum in this area. I was under the impression that the media has to be in an area of high flow.

Archived