SaltCritters.com

Water Surface film...

Argent

I've noticed my poor lil pico tank has developed a film on the surface of the water. Wondering if there was a way to get rid of this, or if anyone had any tips or tricks.

Its protein on the surface of the water, and since you arent using a skimmer to remove it, there are a few choices..... Use purigen in your tank or get a skimmer. I use purigen with pretty good success.

hmm wonder if I can get a tiny mesh bag and stick it where the sponge filter used to go in my Elite micro filter/powerhead thingy.

scarf_ace1981
hmm wonder if I can get a tiny mesh bag and stick it where the sponge filter used to go in my Elite micro filter/powerhead thingy.

that might work. aqua clear also has these surface skimmer attachments you can add to your hob filter.

Purigen comes in a little mesh baggy that is smaller than a deck of cards. You may need to cut it in half and only use part at a time or do like I have and just make sure it is secure sitting somewhere in a high flow area of the tank (mine is in the refuge where the water comes into the back. I also think it helps if you then angle the powerhead so the water on teh surface is broken up. With the film it is easy to see the water breakup.

yeah I've moved my powerhead thingy up as high as possible to generate as much surface aggitation as I could -- but it only seems to keep that one spot clear. I don't have a fuge nor a HOB so it's either dangle the bag in there like a dead body, or cram it in the base of my micro filter. I'm heading to the LFS to get some more saltwater tomorrow probably, so I'll look at picking up some purigen then too and see what I can do.

You could attach a surface skimmer to the intake of your PH. You just need to fasten a "J" shaped piece of pipe with slots cut in the top to your pump.

like this

15qrl95.jpg

You can hold a small cup just under the surface of the water to remove the surface film. This actually works really well if you do it regularly every couple of days because it gives the pico tank numerous small water changes and it only takes a couple of minutes.

You can also drop a paper towel on the surface of the water to remove the surface film, it’s better to use the natural brown color instead of white paper towels because of possible residual bleach.

-Rick

you could drill your tank, set up an intake for a sump/fuge, that'll solve your problems if it's not too extreme, haha.. like my tank ;D

hmm LFS didn't have any purigen yesterday :( gonna see if I can find some this weekend.

You could order it from www.drsfosterandsmith.com. I had the same problem until i used my powerhead to break the surface of the tank.

Archived