Top Shelf Aquatics

I think my clowns have ich...

travisurfer

travisurfer

As i looked into my tank today i saw about 10 white dots on each of my pink skunk clowns. They are still active and eat like pigs. Right now, other tank inhabitants consist of a skunk cleaner shrimp, cleaning crew, brittle star, and mushrooms all grouped onto one rock. Is there a chance the white dots is something besides ich? Would decreasing the salinity work in killing this parasite?

Fishfreak218

i wouldnt decrease the salinity.... feed it enriched foods with something like Selcon or some kind of Garlic Additive

Before you do anything. Stop and slap yourself in the face so that you wake up and don't do anything stupid.

Now, check all paramters. Specifically ph, salinity, temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Now slap yourself again, just for fun.

If the salinity is really high, like above 1.025 you could decrease it to like 1.023 if you want, but I wouldn't make any huge adjustments. If below 1.025 then I wouldn't mess with it.

Then, give them a day and make sure it is not just your eyes, micro bubbles or sand

And then I'm going to need you to slap yourself in the face once more.

Repeat as needed and let us know how things look tonight.

Garlic and feeding is good. Hold off on other things until your sure what your dealing with.

Fishfreak218
Before you do anything. Stop and slap yourself in the face so that you wake up and don't do anything stupid.

Now, check all paramters. Specifically ph, salinity, temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Now slap yourself again, just for fun.

If the salinity is really high, like above 1.025 you could decrease it to like 1.023 if you want, but I wouldn't make any huge adjustments. If below 1.025 then I wouldn't mess with it.

Then, give them a day and make sure it is not just your eyes, micro bubbles or sand

And then I'm going to need you to slap yourself in the face once more.

Repeat as needed and let us know how things look tonight.

Garlic and feeding is good. Hold off on other things until your sure what your dealing with.

LOLOLOL :lol::D:P

travisurfer

ok im slapping myself as i write. so far ive only fed them. ill check my params and post them in a sec.

spec grav: 1.025

ph:8

alkalinity ppm: 300

ammonia: 0

nitrite: 0

nitrate: 0

that is with using a refractometer and mardel test strips for everything else. tank is 1.5 months old.

Set up a QT tank and does Copper Meds to the QT tank. Then wait about a month before putting the clowns back in the tank.

Also, feed them foods that are realy nutritios like Enrished Mysis Shrimp and Forzen Formula One.

travisurfer

they have been eating mysis shrimp and omega flake food. ill have to check tomorrow to make sure it really is ich. if it is, im going to have to owe my parents some cash for a qt. i already have a powerfilter that i can run live rock in and a heater. this is going to suck :(

I'd just wait until tommorow and see how things look. If they still have it tommorow then starting making a treatment plan.

Fishfreak218

IMO there is no reason for a quarentine tank unless the Ich is a very serious case... my fish have gotten Ich a number of times... never had to use medications or remove them from the tank.. even with a Baby Blue Tang... thats JME though...

Im against copper medications unless its a very serious case...

travisurfer

i care about my fish. a qt tank would really drain me of funds. would omega flake and mysis be good enough to help get them healthy or should i get something like garlique or formula 1?

travisurfer

i havent seen anything on them yet today. i think the shrimp may have cleaned them last night. ill just make sure they have good water quality and an adequate diet so that they stay healthy.

Keep a close eye on them. I recently had all my clowns wiped out from ich. I saw they had developed a single white dot on themselves and they were fine for the next 3 days. Then all of a sudden one by one they died, one day after another. I'm defintley investing in a QT tank now before I buy anymore fish.

i have crabs

That’s not right at all. I hope most aquarists are offended by this as I am.

Dont worry about a QT tnk if it costs more than your fish. if the fish get worse just throw em out and buy new ones :)

Unfortunately, this hobby is expensive, and I have found a QT to be a necessary expense. All you really need is a small tank (10G), some salt water, a heater and a small filter. It really isn’t that expensive, and your fish are relying on you to provide appropriate care and living conditions.

I also prefer hypo salinity treatment over copper treatment.

• 2 weeks later...
pufferpoison

first the remark about throwing them out and getting new ones, that f$cking A$$ needs to be booted. ok hope this helps: by the way you will have to print off these pages and take them into your local petsmart and they MUST honor their online prices. I do it all the time, the managers sometimes growl when i get a heater for less than half price, but they still HAVE TO do it.

petsmart filters

ok you could pick up the 50 AC for $20.00, next you'll need a heater:

petsmart heaters and that will get you a stealth heater, made of plastic, very accurate and won't shatter and shuts off automatically if pulled out of water, 50W $16.99

and of course while your at petsmart, pick you up a 10G tank only for $9.99 - lighting is up to you, it isn't necessary but would help to monitor your fish. you can set up a cheap one buy going to home depot and getting a clamp on light and bulb for under $10.00

So let's recap: filter $20, heater $17, tank $10 (lights optional $10) under $50 for a QT tank that is worth it's weight in gold. and you've got a GREAT filter and heater. besides 10G are very easy to turn into small reefs down the road ;)

As i looked into my tank today i saw about 10 white dots on each of my pink skunk clowns. They are still active and eat like pigs. Right now, other tank inhabitants consist of a skunk cleaner shrimp, cleaning crew, brittle star, and mushrooms all grouped onto one rock. Is there a chance the white dots is something besides ich? Would decreasing the salinity work in killing this parasite?

Well, are the dots tiny? i think its a better chance that is marine velvet! anyways dont mess with ur salinity peramaters, does it seem as if ur clean shrimp is cleaning em off more than normal? Also do u feed mysis, if not start using it, and soak it in galic! i wouldnt do freshwater baths YET! also wait it might be grains of sand...yes im embarrassed to admit that one time my fish had like 6 sand grains stuck on it for 1-2 days, then i did a WC and he was jetting all around the tank and the grains fell out, DONT ASK HOW THAT ONE HAPPENED!

ok im slapping myself as i write. so far ive only fed them. ill check my params and post them in a sec.

spec grav: 1.025

ph:8

alkalinity ppm: 300

ammonia: 0

nitrite: 0

nitrate: 0

that is with using a refractometer and mardel test strips for everything else. tank is 1.5 months old.

sorry for double, but dude seriously i encountered problems with 8 or less PH with my 12g! get it up to 8.2-8.3

travisurfer

well, the clowns are actually doing really well. i think it is ick since it came back about 10days later in a much worse case. they were gone in about 3 days with the help of feeding, a wc, and my cleaner. right now they currently have no parasites. i can actually pick of a qt if i absolutely have to since all i need is the 10g tank. the main problem is that i have absolutely no room for a tank other on the floor but i have cats/dog. ill keep you posted if it comes back again.

wait it out before your 100% sure, like lgreen said, slap yourself and dont do anything stupid! IMO, use garlic for a month and see of it comes back again

Kellie in CA

Keep a close eye on them. My pair did the same thing, they would look fine one minute and then the ich would be back a few days later. I think my cleaner shrimp did the best he could but he couldn't keep up with the both of them. This went on for a month and then one day I came home and they were both dead. It was very sad.

Archived