Cultivated Reef

Sebae dying or just unhappy?

Bettonskyblue

Bettonskyblue

Hello, forgive me if this is a stupid question.

My Sebae started moving around the other day. But he stayed attached. This morning I thought he was dead because he was turned upside down in the rock. I got him out to take him out of the tank but I think he is still alive but just pulled up his little "green roots" and is letting the current take him where ever. He is just shrunk half his usual size. Should I take him out? will he harm my corals? I would like to take him back to the LFS but I am not goign to be able to until Monday evening. What do you think?

DementedLullaby
Hello, forgive me if this is a stupid question.

My Sebae started moving around the other day. But he stayed attached. This morning I thought he was dead because he was turned upside down in the rock. I got him out to take him out of the tank but I think he is still alive but just pulled up his little "green roots" and is letting the current take him where ever. He is just shrunk half his usual size. Should I take him out? will he harm my corals? I would like to take him back to the LFS but I am not goign to be able to until Monday evening. What do you think?

I think he sounds like he might keel over sadly. I would QT him if at all possible...don't want it to poison your tank.

Bettonskyblue
I think he sounds like he might keel over sadly. I would QT him if at all possible...don't want it to poison your tank.

Thanks I will take him out tonight when I get back from work if hd is still uprooted

thanks

lindsey

Wait. What's going on is the issue. What type of light do you have on that tank? If it's floating around your tank then something is wrong. You might have to much water current on him or you might not have the right light for it. Dont touch it yet. All you are going to do is stress it out more. Answer those questions first.

scarf_ace1981

i was gonna ask before you remove him, how long have you had it? what type of light? is it somewhere w/ a high flow area?

Bettonskyblue
i was gonna ask before you remove him, how long have you had it? what type of light? is it somewhere w/ a high flow area?

I Have the Nano cube deluxe with the stock lighting. I have had him for out two months and he has been fine. I had been feeding him a chunk of food every couple days or so. The flow in my tank is Ok. I need to upgrade my pump. Did this awnser your questions?

amethyst212

i had a bad exprecience with a sebae but he was already dying at the lfs. the only difference is you had yours for about 2 months. he is unhappy.

i say unplug the pump for about an hour to see if he attaches himself and try to upgrade the lighting.

RayWhisperer

Sebae's can be tough to keep. First off, I'd say you need ALOT more light for a seb, more flow wouldn't hurt either.

Now the meat and potatoes.... Your water parameters please.

Water quality is PARAMOUNT with anemones. I can't stress this enough. Giving us your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, and any others you test for, will help immensly. Also, do you dose ANYTHING? If so, what, how often, and do you test for it?

Don't take this post wrong, I'm not trying to bash you.

Bettonskyblue
Sebae's can be tough to keep. First off, I'd say you need ALOT more light for a seb, more flow wouldn't hurt either.

Now the meat and potatoes.... Your water parameters please.

Water quality is PARAMOUNT with anemones. I can't stress this enough. Giving us your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, and any others you test for, will help immensly. Also, do you dose ANYTHING? If so, what, how often, and do you test for it?

Don't take this post wrong, I'm not trying to bash you.

Hey everyone. THanks for the help but he was looking pretty bad...so I took him out and flushed him. I think he was dying so he went to anemone heaven. I dont think I will be getting any more anemones until I have a better tank with better lighting. I will stick with easier stock. What makes me mad is when I got him I told the salesperson "a reef expert" what tank I had, and what I had in it. He assured me that I could keep him alive. GRRRRRR

Thanks though for all of your help.

lindsey

VermontReef

I have had a sebae anemone for over two years now and never did it let go and take off with the current. I first had him with PC's and he stayed at the top of the tank. When I upgraded the lights to MH, he moved to the bottom.

If you have any powerheads in your tank and you allow it to float around, he'll end up in the powerheads intake. Pulling an anemone out of a powerhead in chunks isn't fun.

You can tell the healthyness of your sebae by the coloring. A healthy one will have a purplish/maroon pigment throughout the body. If it looks very white its in poor shape. Most of the ones you get at a LFS are in poor shape already.

:( That "reef expert" should be beaten and flushed down the toilet.

I can't believe you flushed him. HE was still alive. Sebae's are nearly impossible to keep even in a tank with proper room and light. Why not contact your local reefing club or LFS and offer him as a freebie? People will come and pick up for free stuff.

Sorry to lecture, but unless he was bleached, he may have stood a chance.

LFS's will tell you anything to take hard to care for merchandise off their hands. Better it die in your tank than theirs. Give the LFS guy hell. No way you could keep this in a stock NC.

By the way. GO HURRICANES!

I Have the Nano cube deluxe with the stock lighting. I have had him for out two months and he has been fine. I had been feeding him a chunk of food every couple days or so. The flow in my tank is Ok. I need to upgrade my pump. Did this awnser your questions?

Yes this answered my question. You didn't know what you were doing.

Hey everyone. THanks for the help but he was looking pretty bad...so I took him out and flushed him. I think he was dying so he went to anemone heaven. I dont think I will be getting any more anemones until I have a better tank with better lighting. I will stick with easier stock. What makes me mad is when I got him I told the salesperson "a reef expert" what tank I had, and what I had in it. He assured me that I could keep him alive. GRRRRRR

Thanks though for all of your help.

lindsey

Flushing him was not the answer dude. WOW.

Bettonskyblue

I assure you he was looking quite dead and he smelled bad that is why I flushed him. i guess I know better than to ever listen to them agian. thanks for all your help everyone.

lindsey

I wish I had a nickel for every time I thought something in my tank was in distress, I left it alone, and it ended up bouncing back.

If it ws dead the tissue would be decomposing while you watched. Anemones and corals always smell like crap out of water. If it was really dead you would know.

Please don't make impulsive "flushes"in the future.

Archived