ReefCleaners.org

can I throw away my filter?

vanessa

I was wondering I just installed my prizm skimmer and wonder if I need my HOB filter as well? It seems like overkill on the water flowing. Thanks for any advice. Vanessa

IMHO you can never have too much flow. In my 10G tank before getting a wavemaker I had ~500GPH of flow going 24X7 between 4 power heads plus the overflow from my fuge.

Now with my wavemaker my tank hits full GPH flow every 20 seconds for a few seconds then the powerheads cycle on and off. My corals love it.

Can you adjust your HOB filter's flow rate? I'd keep it on there and make it into a micro fuge (I have seen people put red mangroves in HOB filters as well) or just run it with carbon as you are doing. It would also be the best place for an auto top off system as well.

On my 2.5G tank my HOB Aqua Clear Mini is opened up and I put 4 capnella frags directly in the path with xenia underneath them and both have done extremely well. I've gotten ~14 smaller frags of capnella which now are all as large as the original ones and the xenia has been fragged 6 times (could have done 8 but needed to leave some in the tank :-P) and the frags are now in need of fragging as well. lol

Hope this helps.

i think you'll have better luck if you toss the carbon filter. or keep it and use it periodically to clean the water. carbon will strip out vital elements in your water if run all the time. so keep the powerfilter or not but remove the carbon.

There are benefits to running carbon as well.

For example, in such a small tank if you have any chemically aggressive corals (e.g., Ricordea, most leathers, and many of the stonies), carbon with help reduce the concentration of the allelopathic chemicals released in their battles. Many of which can kill LPS and SPS corals both quickly or due to chronic exposure. You cannot remove these by skimming and water changes don't do much either.

Ever heard anyone say about a coral, "I don't understand, it was doing so well, then it just died." An alternative hypothesis to 1) must be my lights (usually not) or 2) must not have been feeding it right (maybe) is that defensive chemicals exuded by neighbor corals killed them over time.

Call them Space Wars.

sjpresley.......

nailed it.

The rest of you need to wise up. ;)

and OX, 500 GPH TOTAL? or 500 GPH each X 4 ? yer insane.

Flow is KING, but that much circ in a 10 is like a whirlpool LOL.

250 STRONG circ is cool. are you MOVING 500 GPH or is that just what the heads are rated at?

To Quote OSCAR:

MORE INFO NEED !

seriously LOLz

LOL.

500 GPH total not each and that's what they are rated at but you know how quickly things get clogged which come to think of it they need a cleaning...

Heck, I put a Hagen 402 270GPH in my 10 gal and I thought it would blow my LR out of the tank, so I removed it. I had it shooting from a back corner to the mid front.

Archived