Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Adding clowns?

Aggie05

When my cycle gets finished I plan on adding two percs to my tank. My question is this, I am planning on adding one at a time but will I have any problems with getting one and then another a week or two later? Any aggression problems to look for? These won't be tank raised.

Really, I wouldn't worry about it if you're jsut talking a couple weeks, but not being tank raised, aggression issues are a little more likely. If you want to play it safe there are two generally wise possibilities:

1) Make sure the first one you buy is smaller than average (but still a healthy size, of course), and the second one a little larger. The small one will have had time to establish a little territory, but because of its smaller size, will be more likely to quickly ceed to the second clown without much of a fight.

2) A few days before adding the second fish, remove the first one and put it in a temporary tank (doesn't really need filtration or space, I use jsut a 1g plastic jobby with an air pump for airation). Rearrange the rockwork a little bit, and add both the fish at the same time. This is pretty much like adding them both at the same time in the first place.

Well then maybe I will jsut add two very small ones at the same time. I am pretty sure that any difference in the ammonia levels that they make won't be enough to kill them. That way I won't have to worry about aggression. Thanks for the help.

I found if you have a single clown, they like the company more than they feel threatened. There are lots of people here in the forums that agree with me that they teamed up immediately. Also, I've seen (as well as others) that a single clown acts depressed, but this immediately stops when you add a second clown. Territory shouldn't be an issue with just a PAIR of clowns.

hey all,

i got one black footed clown and was wondering if i could add a maroon clown........ hope they will not fight ......... or what is the best posibility.....

20 gallon with live rocks.

water paras are good.

thanx for the help.

arpanlib

Take what i say very lightly but from what I have read on these boards are that maroon clowns are very aggresive towards other types of clowns, territorial and get to big for smaller nanos.

Aggie I agree the two percs should be fine. Just make sure your cycle is really over, give it a few days to see.

arpanlib, don't do it. it would have bad results. Clowns are agressive, maroon clowns are very agressive. If you are going to add a second clown add the same kind. What is a black footed clown? I've never heard that common name.

Adding a maroon to a tank with an existing maroon is difficult enough. Like everyone else said, adding an Amphiprion clown with a Maroon is extremely difficult. There have been several vary experienced clown breeders who have tried and suceeded in having a happy tank, although I've yet to hear anyone getting them to actually mate, but that's irrelevant here.

Black-footed is a common name for Amphiprion nigripes, also called the Maldives clown. I've never seen one available before, but I've heard they can be found on rare occasions. If you have an honest-to-goodness A. nigripes, I would love to see a picture or two, they're quite cool clowns.

• 1 month later...

I know you posted that pic a while ago, but I just noticed it. Thanks for sharing, beautiful specimen of an A. nigripes you have.

Archived