Cultivated Reef

Fixing cracked acrylic

psidriven

Did some searching but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. I have a 18 inch acrylic cube with some hairline crack on the bottom panel near a seam. The crack appears to be through the panel. Any suggestions to fix this? I was thinking of using Weldon to seal the crack and maybe some epoxy to inside as insurance to prevent leaks.

Will this work and any NR members in Los Angeles with experiance working with Weldon? Or can I use Superglue? Any advice, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Weldon 3 or 4 are water-thin glues, and you apply them with a small syringe, etc... These will wick into the crack and should seal it up, but it does take a bit of practice. I'd recommend these.

Weldon 16 is a thicker version and has a larger margin or error, but doesn't wick into a tight seam too well. This could be applied to both sides of the crack, and should hold it well enough, although I'd still recommend the #3 or 4 over this.

There's quite a few people in the L.A. area, perhaps someone on NR has some weldon and could help you out instead of having to buy a can.

The Propagator

If it is near the seem I would guess it is also under the trim ( if thats what you are saying?)

You will have to remove the trim or hit it from the inside .

If it is near the seem I would guess it is also under the trim ( if thats what you are saying?)

You will have to remove the trim or hit it from the inside .

Well unfortunately just wicking in weldon in a crack can go two ways. It can stop and seal the crack, or it can make it propagate further. It is best to stop drill that crack with a tiny drill bit. It has to be drilled exactly at the end of the crack. The hole eliminates any stresses already there thats started with the crack. Then wick in some water thin #3 or 4. You can dissolve a bit of acrylic in weldon 3 or 4 to make a thicker gel and use it to fill the hole that was drilled or evenuse some weldon 16. The hole only needs tobe very tiny 1/16" or less, preferably less, as its only purpose is to check the crack from going any further. Weldon alone will not stop a crack from spreading.

Well unfortunately just wicking in weldon in a crack can go two ways. It can stop and seal the crack, or it can make it propagate further. It is best to stop drill that crack with a tiny drill bit. It has to be drilled exactly at the end of the crack. The hole eliminates any stresses already there thats started with the crack. Then wick in some water thin #3 or 4. You can dissolve a bit of acrylic in weldon 3 or 4 to make a thicker gel and use it to fill the hole that was drilled or evenuse some weldon 16. The hole only needs tobe very tiny 1/16" or less, preferably less, as its only purpose is to check the crack from going any further. Weldon alone will not stop a crack from spreading.

Thanks chipmaker. How deep should the hole be? Wow, that's really helpful to know and makes sense. Similar to dealing with cracks in a windshield. BTW, would using a suction cup help the Weldon 4 wick more completely into the crack? I've seem windsheild repair kits with a suction cup type deal and thought that may help.

Thanks chipmaker. How deep should the hole be?

All the way through.

BTW, would using a suction cup help the Weldon 4 wick more completely into the crack? I've seem windsheild repair kits with a suction cup type deal and thought that may help.

It may help or it may force air into crack with the weldon. You don't want to do that, since air bubbles will cause leaks.

That's a really god idea.

NewbieReefer

Just glue on a 1/16" thick piece of acrylic that covers the crack all the way to the seam. Use #4, make sure the edges are all clean/routed/or sanded smooth. After you do this, make sure to put some #4 on the bottom crack. It should have been sealed after gluing in the 1/16" piece. If the tank had water in it and you just emptied it, you have to wait a week for all the water to dry. Acrylic absorbs water so that means that there is water in the seam that needs to try in order to glue properly. HTH

Ram

Archived