SaltCritters.com

Smallest way to get water circulation?

Argent

I have a brainstorm to use a small acrylic cylinder betta tank for a pico -- but I'm trying to figure out how to generate water movement in the tank. The tank is about a quart in size -- with a hollow base -- I was hoping to find some small pump with an inlet and an outlet that I could connect tubes to, mount UNDER the tank, and run the two ports up above the sand bed through the floor.

Here's a pic of the tank (it currently is the prison of my evil hermit)

100_1679%20(Medium).JPG

It's about 4" in diameter and 5" tall.

SplitSequence

bubble wands, or magnetic stirrers seem like good bets to me

I have a brainstorm to use a small acrylic cylinder betta tank for a pico -- but I'm trying to figure out how to generate water movement in the tank. The tank is about a quart in size -- with a hollow base -- I was hoping to find some small pump with an inlet and an outlet that I could connect tubes to, mount UNDER the tank, and run the two ports up above the sand bed through the floor.

Here's a pic of the tank (it currently is the prison of my evil hermit)

100_1679%20(Medium).JPG

It's about 4" in diameter and 5" tall.

I think a magnetic stirrer might be a little bit expensive for this tank. Plus I don't see how on could operate without slapping the inhabitants around.

Altough the crab is supposedly evil.

SplitSequence

hey, he said small, not crab-safe.

besides, it won't kill brine, i don't think it would kill the crab, at least not at first.

hehehe ok how about a practical watermovement solution to house a small coral (zoa/shroom), a hermit and a snail....

This evil hermit isn't getting a fancy setup -- but for the cost of this tank it could be a nice project for a nice hermit :P

Neat idea........

how about a slow moving propeller mounted on the top? it looks tall enough and you could trim the blde to get your desired flow

wow that seems simple enough -- the bent tube could be siliconed to the wall of the tank, matching holes could be drilled through the outer wall and the tube and an a small air pump could be housed under the tank.

*ponders, and runs off to play in MS Paint*

airlift_tube.JPG

Yes I would try that idea. But when you mount it in the tank, I would angle it a little so it follow around the sides of the tank.

texan

p.s if you make the water fast enough you could create a whirlpool of doom :lol:

lol jk

The water lift looks like a great idea, one idea, perhaps punch the air tubing through the bottom instead of the side? That way you only drill one hole through the base for the air tube instead of two. Keeps the aesthetics a bit more if you ask me. Oh of course a hole for the power cord in the base also, maybe a little oversized so that air can get into the base easily.

post-20926-1150846173_thumb.jpg

post-20926-1150846185_thumb.jpg

The water lift looks like a great idea, one idea, perhaps punch the air tubing through the bottom instead of the side? That way you only drill one hole through the base for the air tube instead of two. Keeps the aesthetics a bit more if you ask me. Oh of course a hole for the power cord in the base also, maybe a little oversized so that air can get into the base easily.

post-20926-1150846173_thumb.jpg

post-20926-1150846185_thumb.jpg

how the crap do you guys make those graphics.. :huh:

I use a variety of cad programs for my graphics, but for a real quick drawing like the betta tank I just use Rhino. It is a very user friendly program, but a little limited for professional use.

Duradalin, great graphics! Argent I agree with DD and it would look alot nicer if you went through the bottom.

texan

need to find some small pipes to try this out with -- and a smaller air pump than what I have -- oh yeah and another aquarium.

I think you can use rigid airline tubing. You can get really cheap air pumps at walmart or similar places.

texan

ps- keep us updated on how it comes and pics.

evil hermit has passed away -- thus leaving me with this tank to experiment with as soon as I can find some rigid airline tubing.

Archived