inTank Media Baskets

Frog Fish swallowed some air!

VannReefer87

VannReefer87

I just got a little frogfish today for my nano that I set up about 2 weeks ago. The little guy was fine in the store and then when I brought him home and put him in the tank I noticed a huge bulge in his stomach and he keeps floating to the top. I'm assuming he swallowed some air during transfer. Is there anything I can do for the little guy or is he a goner :o ...thanks everyone

Hehe, that's funny.

I mean, poor guy and all, but still. I've never heard of a fish doing that - I doubt he swallowed air, may have ended up exacerbating a swim bladder infection or something similar. Sorry I can't be of more help. :)

VannReefer87

nah...he def goubled up some air during his net transfer....damn fish..lol..i just hope he farts it out or something!

RayWhisperer

I had a pair of wild clowns do this... The problem solved itself after a week or so. Although, Many Cyphotilapia frontosa(FW african cichlid) have a similar problem. It seems to be a swim bladder infection/problem of some sort. Some recover, some don't. Doesn't seem to be fatal. In the frontosa situation, I believe it to be caused by rapid ascent after capture. Frontosa are a deep water fish that stick mainly to the bottom and structure, I don't believe they can handle rapid ascention. Only a theory, and I have nothing to back it up with. Besides, I'm not sure if it even pertains to your situation.

VannReefer87

yeah...i'm hoping once the little guy eats that the food will displace the air and he'll burp or somethin...any other advice is welcome!

RayWhisperer

Well, I hope so too. The reason I brought the frontosas up is that they are similar, in that both are primarily bottom dwellers with minimal swim bladders(I don't know for sure, frog fish may have none at all). This may be the issue with yours as well. I've had many wild front's get this after years in captivity. It seems to present itself when (primarily) adult fish are transferred.

Did a little Googling on WetWebMedia.com, found a similar problem with a puffer. Here's what Anthony Calfo had to say:

We have a spiny box puffer fish. He is pretty small still and we had him about a month. He has been fine and eating fine but we have noticed that he is swimming weird lately. He seems to struggle to swim and swims at an angle with his tail fins upward. He can dive to the bottom of the tank but it looks like he is struggling. Does this mean that he has swallowed air?

<possible but uncommon once established... usually occurs after netting out of water when sold/moved>

Since this swimming problem has started he does not seem to eat anymore either. We also have some larger fish that are bothering him. The fish who are the villains are a Sailfin tang, blue tang and a Heniochus. What can we do to help puffy?

<needs quarantine immediately. Ultimately may never work with current tank mates, but suffer and die if forced to do so>

If it is air, how exactly do we help him release it without getting bit or hurting him?

<gently net underwater with a soft nylon cloth net (not coarse green fabric). Securely grab the fish through the net and orient the fish tail-down/ mouth- upward. The struggle to get free will often massage a burp of air out if it exists. You should only need 5-10 seconds to complete if it will work at all. Quite frankly, it may not be air at all and the symptoms are general. Stressed by harassment from other fish, it could have a pathogenic infection... that is why quarantine for isolation, treatment and observation is critical to save its life>

Thanks for any help with our little guy.

<please write back with a success story! Anthony>

VannReefer87

I understand...someone on reefcentral said to try and "burb" by holding him vertically and shaking him a bit to release the air bubble when this happens

I understand...someone on reefcentral said to try and "burb" by holding him vertically and shaking him a bit to release the air bubble when this happens

Keep us posted on how this turns out.

I've never heard of burping a fish......interesting.

DementedLullaby

Yeah puffers sometimes need burping. Hold them in a net with their body downwards under the surface. Gently tap on their tummies. It's okay if they fill with water during this time. It's easy for them to expel water.

VannReefer87

well tried burping the little guy and he coughed up a little bubble and still floated some....then he went to the bathroom and by this morning he's fine....thanks everyone for the help

Archived