Cultivated Reef

DIY? Fuge Light

yankeereefer

No, there should be a 6500k bulb - You go to the lowes on Aurora / 59 (next to Michael's)? If so, the bulbs I buy are on the shelves that have the light bulbs powered on (for comparison) to the left of the display- I will post pix tonight as I still have the pkg. I also have an extra bulb if you want to come and pick up - I just bought it a week or so ago so it's new.

I'll be home later tonight as I have decided to pickup the 33g cube I have on hold at petco - You can call me though

yes the new one right on 59 i am across the street from it. :P

ok i will return this one as well as the knife i bought for cutting acrylic, forgot i had one at home, asking for help in that place and asking for 6500K is like asking for snow in the middle of July LOL there like ummmm how many watts? duh! :D whats 6500K???? ugh my 5 year old son knew more :D

When i head back ill look next to the display, i got this bulb in the isle where they have all of there bulbs for sale.

ill give you a call later anyways.

hey how long did you let the silicone dry before testing with water? everything went smooth till i tried to dremel out the slots in the baffles then it started chipping, but there in it anyways, not the prettiest thing but oh well. live & learn.

thanks again!

Joe :D

yankeereefer
hey how long did you let the silicone dry before testing with water? everything went smooth till i tried to dremel out the slots in the baffles then it started chipping, but there in it anyways, not the prettiest thing but oh well. live & learn.

Let the silicone set 24hrs - I only let it go like 8hrs the first time and one of the baffles came loose. I had to do it all over again. It was tough to wait, cause I wanted to test my work

For the baffles, I taped the 2 baffles together and used a round/pointed sanding tip to grind out the teeth. Worked pretty good -

If need be, bring your stuff over and I can help or show you

YR

Let the silicone set 24hrs - I only let it go like 8hrs the first time and one of the baffles came loose. I had to do it all over again. It was tough to wait, cause I wanted to test my work

For the baffles, I taped the 2 baffles together and used a round/pointed sanding tip to grind out the teeth. Worked pretty good -

If need be, bring your stuff over and I can help or show you

YR

ya i was going to leave it overnight, everything is already siliconed in.

i have that attachment as well but didn't even think of using it duh!

is it best to cut out the lid as well?

thanks again

Joe

yankeereefer
is it best to cut out the lid as well?

I used a cutting wheel to do the lid - Do you have any acrylic left over from the baffles? You'll need a piece to cover the hole you're about to cut (to protect the inside of your light fixture.

I used a cutting wheel to do the lid - Do you have any acrylic left over from the baffles? You'll need a piece to cover the hole you're about to cut (to protect the inside of your light fixture.

Ok great! thank you!

and yes i do i have allot actually i bought a big sheet for $7 so i have allot left over. so basically i am just replacing the tinted plastic for clear? makes sense, i wondered about the light and protection.

thank you

Joe

Ok great! thank you!

and yes i do i have allot actually i bought a big sheet for $7 so i have allot left over. so basically i am just replacing the tinted plastic for clear? makes sense, i wondered about the light and protection.

thank you

Joe

well i went back and did not find them, but to just be frustrated with the employees that work there. LOL :D

well i just went through one lid, shattered all over the place, and melted plastic all over my arm, good thing i have a extra lid. :D

tried more then one cutting wheel and all had about the same result, and it wasn't good, so i used the broken lid to test out other attachments and with the same result,

i may just cut a piece of left over acrylic for the lid and just be done with it, then nothing to cut out.

any other tips? is it because its such thick plastic

buffing and sanding down the acrylic was a snap but this plastic on the ac is Hell LOL

sorry for ranting.

whew!! ok i got it cut out this time on this lid, i just want ALOT slower with the cutting wheel.

about the piece of acrylic did you silicone yours to your lid? if so on the outside or inside?

thanks for your help!

i know im being a pain.

yankeereefer
about the piece of acrylic did you silicone yours to your lid? if so on the outside or inside?

I didn't silicone it - It just lays on top. I might be lazy, but it makes it easier for me if I want to peek inside or pull chaeto to trim

i know im being a pain.

Dude - no pain / no gain - I don't mind helping - Many others were patient and helpful to me when I was starting out. Pay it forward, y'know?

YR

I didn't silicone it - It just lays on top. I might be lazy, but it makes it easier for me if I want to peek inside or pull chaeto to trim

Dude - no pain / no gain - I don't mind helping - Many others were patient and helpful to me when I was starting out. Pay it forward, y'know?

YR

for sure!!! and thank you!

i;m sure you will here allot more from me, and ill try and keep it here on this site instead of bouncing around LOL

• 2 years later...

Hi, this is a great design! I have a couple of questions, though:

1) This is probably really stupid, but I don't understand why you drilled a hole for a socket in the acrylic end-piece when you already have a socket (and hood switch) on the other end of that half. Am I understanding this correctly? Can't I just re-wire a new socket into the hood and then close off the other end?

2) What is the extension cord for? Doesn't that half of the hood already have a cord? Or is that for making the other, empty half into a second light?

3) Why do people cut holes in their AC110 lids? Why not just get a piece of thin glass at Ace Hardware and cover the whole fuge? It's super cheap and you don't have to worry about heating issues.

Thanks for your help! Great idea

ET

Hi there

Answers to your ??'s # 1-2 - These were only done in order to create a 2nd light fixture is all.

#3 - You can use whatever you want to cover the AC fuge - I just cut the hole, no real reason why :)

I used a scrap piece of clear acrylic to keep moisture from the light bulb.

check your PM's too

Archived