SaltCritters.com

20 Inches of Zoo's

SoS

This hobby is neverending. I finish one tank and on to the next.

The final moments of my 29 Gallon Reef Tank

The LFS pulled some of there Show rocks out and cleaned them up for sale. I walk in for a few pounds of base rock and leave with this monster to be the show piece in my 55 gallon Reef.

The large Show Plate Live Rock Sitting in the front of the 29Gal

55ReefWEB004.jpg

The Dust Settles as the formerly Fresh 55 Gallon Becomes Reef

55ReefWEB001.jpg

I read an article a week ago that started making alot of sense. I'm don't really like the pile of rocks look in a reef tank. Less For me seems more. These packed to the last inch tanks with no breathing room are aquarium marvels but lack any grace and style. With this Tank I'm trying to get away from that and make a cleaner...sleaker looking tank.

Its not finished one or two more rocks and fix the background but I don't want to make the standard rocks to the roof tank anymore.

My 55 Not-So-Nano:) reef tank. Be kind.

I'm probably gonna pull a few rocks out and look for some long branch or another plate rock. More fitting to the design I'm looking for.

55_reef_008.jpg

The show plate in full bloom. I'm gonna take some of the awesome Logical reef zoo's I have a frag one or too in here or there to really make the rock shine.

There's two differant Zoo morphs and some Brown star Polyps mixied in. A few Aipstasia too.

55_reef_002.jpg

55_reef_003.jpg

55_reef_006.jpg

hey looks cool, very nice rock (musta costed a buttload...) anyways, i would try and seal the top of your backround on, it will stop the water from getting down there and makin those "designs" on the back. other than that, looks good fellow 55er (but mine is the box of rocks look :) )

I have been diving the South Pacific, Malaysia & Indonesia for more then 20 years, you have captured a small part of the inner reef's of Malaysia near perfectly. Your show rock is stunning, if I were to do anything different, I would have more arcing rock's for the support of the show rock to form a more natural rounded cave opening. I look forward to seeing more pics as it grows in. Nice job!

Originally posted by Dan Chase

I have been diving the South Pacific, Malaysia & Indonesia for more then 20 years, you have captured a small part of the inner reef's of Malaysia near perfectly. Your show rock is stunning, if I were to do anything different, I would have more arcing rock's for the support of the show rock to form a more natural rounded cave opening. I look forward to seeing more pics as it grows in. Nice job!

First off Thank you very much and yes I agree. I didn't order bulk rock online cause I knew I probably wouldn't get the shape I wanted. I'm gonna start rummaging the LFS to find the right shapes and slowly eliminate rocks I don't like and add in the right pieces to this puzzle. ;)

Originally posted by Spencerx

hey looks cool, very nice rock (musta costed a buttload...) anyways, i would try and seal the top of your backround on, it will stop the water from getting down there and makin those "designs" on the back. other than that, looks good fellow 55er (but mine is the box of rocks look :) )

I know I've been meaning to do that with the background. I just never get around to it. It was a freshwater tank before this and I had alot of backround hanging plants that covered it. So I didn't think much of it. Now I see its gotta be fixed.

I've got nothing against the Box of rocks look. My first two reef tanks were jammed. I just thought I'd try something differant.

Latest additions and pics. Everythings looking good since the move.

55_reef_011.jpg

Red Formia

55_Formia_002.jpg

Maroon Clownfish---Brutus---He seems to be bonding with my Open Brain. He hovers above it and rarely leaves it. The Open Brain has not retracted so I'm not too concerned yet.

55_Brutus_001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tank Update

Niagra Zoo's

55_Zoos_002.jpg

Alveopora In full Bloom

55_Alveopora_001.jpg

Frogspawn

55_Frogspawn_001.jpg

MMMM Brains

55_OpenBrain_001.jpg

Buddies?...NOT!... Yellow rules the roost

55_YTandBRUTUS_001.jpg

Left side of the tank

55_reef_012.jpg

Nice tank...I was thinking of doing a 55g reef. I wanted to do something similar to what you have, no sump or fuge. Just a hob and power heads for movement. What lighting are you running?

the tail of your gobie looks a bit chewed up. who is the culprit?

the tank looks great. In our 180 gallon office reef we started out with that cleaner look and, over time, the damned thing has been filled up with rock and more rock. It's just a matter of time before your pristine, clean look becomes cluttered and crowded. Inevitable if you hit the fish store. Can't walk out without buying things syndrome. Still, a beauty of a tank.

Originally posted by Crakeur

the tail of your gobie looks a bit chewed up. who is the culprit?

That was shortly after I got him he was like that at the LFS. I didn't notice it till I got home he was in a tank with about 30 other spotted gobies. He's looking much better now.

I know what you mean about the adding on. I'm already looking for a nice rock or two to add.

Archived