Coral Vue Hydros

Eco Mud Question

wetworx101

How deep should a mud filter have it's mud? I have 2" in a fuge...but was thinking 3" or more might help with nitrate breakdown. Any input? Anyone know what the depth is supposed to be?

From the tanks I have seen with mud fuges,depth doesn't matter too much,as long as algae can get a holdfast in it,that's ok.Iron becomes depleted over time so you can just top the mud up,if you like.Takes a while to loose the goodness though,2 years ish!you need a fast laminar flow over the algae also.So don't worry too much,sure it will work out just great.Cheers,Dave.

Thanks for the reply! But, how fast is fast? I have one fuge that has a tray 12"long, 5"wide, 2" deep with mud and grassilaria...and about 7" under the water surface...and it gets about 140 gph through it...would this fall under the definition of fast flow?

10 times flow at least,mud releases goodness over time and can be exhausted after approx 2 years.

You also need a laminar flow over the algae...Don't use a skimmer,as this robs the system of its food! Hope this helps,Dave.

Archived