Cultivated Reef

Anyone know what kind of coral this is?

Sahin

I picked this small frag up about 6 weeks ago.

My LFS kinda asked me to buy it saying that its quite uncommon.

I cant figure out if its an LPS or SPS coral.  I havent seen any sweeper tentacle.  I have fed it tiny shrimp piece once.

Heres a shot, sorry the quality is not good.

Anyhow, have a go at ID'ing this one:

coral020702.jpg

I gotta say its a beautiful coral and has shown growth in the time its been in my tank.

Thanks.

anthony812

it looks like a Elegence Pot Coral...i have seen one in my LFS..and that is what they told me...but im not sure..

It is definitely an elegance. They are not related to gonipora. They are a  LPS (large ployp stony coral), such as brains, torches, frogspawn etc. I had one for several years in my 55. It grew to the size of a football at one point. It died when my clown decided to use  it as a host.

They require high lighting, and occasional feedings. Also remember to keep your calcium levels up since they are reef builders and lie down a calciferous base.

jjharrisx4

I disagree...I don't think it is an elegance.  The skeleton (what I can see) doesn't look right at all.  I have had several elegance and I just don't recognise any of the similarities.  Personally I feel that the rounded bony skeleton, and the appearance of what I think are polyps indicate goniopora.  Sahin...did it actually consume the shrimp you gave it or are you not 100% sure.  I find it interesting that the LFS "asked" you to buy this coral...What are they hiding...how much did you pay?

Is the bottom of the skeleton flat, or pointed?

I only paid £10 for  it, which over here isnt too much for such a frag as this.

I got a reply from a fellow UK reefer saying that he asked Eric Boereman over at reef central to ID another frag of this same colony another UK reefer happened to buy from the same shop.  The ID came down to Galaxea...there are three possibilities...I was asked to provide a few closeups with the polpys retracted...so I gues it can be narrowed down futher when I get the pics done.

Definately not an Elegance.

jjharrisx4

I wouldn't want to go against what Mr. Bornman says but it doesn't look like galaxia to me either.  Perplexing!

• 2 months later...

HAHAHAHHAHAHA...you people are crazy...

Pictures dont seem to justify a coral....

the only answer can come from the owner of the coral...hehe

from what i see... IMO...

if its on a calcium base/obvious skeleton its definately a Euphyllia

if its not,,,its definatly some sort of goniopora

hehehe, you've gotta examine the skeleton! :o

:P the hydnophora didn't occur to me before because of the coloration (usually greenish with branches) but it does kinda look like this pic imo. whatever, as long as it grows and doesn't kill everything else! ;)

LOL, I don't know either... When I first glanced I was like, oh no, gonipora... Sahin should recognize this! Then in less than one second I looked at the polyps and realized that there was NO way that this was gonipora... The skeleton looks remarkibly similar to gonipora, does it not (hard to tell from the pic). Def not euphillia totally wrong skeleton. Perhaps some sort of brain or moon -but it doesn't look like it....? LOL No clue!! LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT!

HAHAHA...im ready to bet, from the picture that its a Euphyllia tho...

im 80 percent sure....

15 percent says its some sort of goniopora

5 percent says its an LPS... LOL

Eric Boereman's opinions are well recognized and i have nothing against him, if he say's its a galaxea, then it might be one... HAHA

but then again he does agree with me that my next post of aa coral is a galaxea..which looks really different from sahin's picture

i have 2 flower pot corals and well they look like flowers not like

tenticals as yours dose

a pic of it inside the rock would probly help *)

as long as its open and growing meaning its happy and healthy just keep it a ways

from your other corals till its settled in see what it dose:)

it looks like it might be a short tentical coral

about how big is your frag?

that might give ppl an idea on how large the tenticals are

what color are they?(tenticals ect)

there are some sights that specialze in corals and raising corals

good luck

Archived