inTank Media Baskets

My first pico

ClarkiiClown

ClarkiiClown

I decided to try to make my own 2.5 gallon setup.

My tank is an All Glass 2.5

80274tank.jpg

My return pump is this little guy80274return_pump.jpg

If I need it extra circulation will be handled by this giant 40GPH pump80274circulation.jpg

I didnt like the way the return pump set in the soon to be sump area so I added a small piece of plexi to hold it closer to the wall80274yuck.jpg

And After

80274yeah.jpg

My sump wall will be mocked up in clear plexi (cause that is what I had) and then I will get a nice piece to put in its place.

Check out the great "seal" of duct tape

80274mock_seal.jpg

I ditched the teeth in the overflow, they just didnt let enough water through

80274overflow.jpg

Here is the return pump and plumbing through the sump wall

80274flow.jpg

An end shot

80274pump.jpg

Looks like decent agitation for now

80274current.jpg

Now I need to get a piece of black plexi to replace the clear. I am also going to create a box in the sump to house some chaeto and rock rubble so it stays out of the pump return.

Well I got a piece of black plexi for 3.00 whole dollars! Fair warning- THE EDGES ARE SO SHARP! It broke my tank when I tried to test fit it!

Soooooo I had to buy another tank!

Well I finally got it sanded down so it wouldnt break this one and got it in place. Looks great! Here it is sealed in place.

80274new_wall_1.jpg

80274new_wall.jpg

After letting the sump wall cure I decided to fill the tank and get it cycling. Hopefully it wont take that long.

I robbed a few cups of sand from my 75

Bought some rubble pieces from the LFS and viola!!

80274rubble.jpg

My cheesy attempt at aquascaping

80274scaping.jpg

Here it is just after filling and turning on the pump

80274filled.jpg

I plan to block off the sump area either by painting the glass or using some type of black stick on material.

I was just too impatient........ The light will be here in 2 days!

I found a cheesy light to put over the tank just to see what it will look like

80274light_on.jpg

80274sideways.jpg

I just got my coralife 2x18W fixture today. It is BRIGHT!

I filled in the back and sump sides with black backing. Looks alright to me.

80274done.jpg

80274done1.jpg

80274first_scaping1.jpg

80274first_scaping.jpg

Now a week later it is the march of the diatoms :angry: I thought I might skip out on a big cycle but I guess not. I will just have to avoid looking at if for a few days. NOT

diatoms.jpg

Here is a shot of the sump with some macro

macrosump.jpg

ClarkiiClown

From a local shop called RPS plastics. I had a piece of clear, made it fit took it to them and they cut me the piece I wanted. Had it back in about an hour.

Nice people

Cool. Do you know if Home Depot does that? I would like to try a 2.5g as well after seeing yours. btw, does the chaeto overflow into the pump compartment?

ClarkiiClown

I dont know if I would trust my home depot employees......

No, mainly because what you cant see. There is rock rubble and a piece of fluval polishing floss below the chaeto.

very nice! I like it -- I think if I put together another tank at home I may do something similiar but slightly larger (5-6G)

Great start to a nice looking tank!

whats the power of the return pump???

Just want to know the minimum I can get away with :D

ClarkiiClown

My evap is quite a bit for the tank size. At least a cup to a cup and a half a day! Everytime I walk by the tank I check the water level.

Temps are great! Always within 1-2 degrees of the ambient in my house which is about 76

As for the return pump I dont remember. It isnt very much. I think it may be the stock pump from my 12 gallon nano cube. LOL

Archived