SaltCritters.com

@#$# Emerlad crab #$#$#

JeremyChase

JeremyChase

Well.........

I started my SW tank 5 months ago, and started with a halloween hermit and two nassarius snails. Everything was happy..

I really like the nassarius snails.

Then I decided to get a yellow clown goby and an emerald crab. Things seemed "ok" but the emerald crab seemed a bit agressive at times; he worried me. This was about 2 months ago. In the last two months I noticed that the nassarius nails don't seem to come out of the sand very often; odd, I thought.

So, last night, I'm feeding the tank with flake food. Just a bit. The emerald crab seemed hungry because he was going all over the tank looking for food. So, the flake was gone, and I thought "well, lets put some pellets in" so I do.

One nassarius snail pops out of the sand! I'm happy.

Then the emerald crab sees him and makes a bee-line. 5 seconds later nassarius guts are all over the tank and the emerald crab is having a nice meal.

$%$#

One of the many reasons I don't include crabs of any kind in my systems. Emeralds will tear all sorts of great snails to shreds.

JeremyChase
One of the many reasons I don't include crabs of any kind in my systems. Emeralds will tear all sorts of great snails to shreds.

I'm starting to feel that way..

Another thing.. I'm missing one of my pepermint shrimp too; where did that go? Emerald Crab.. I think...

I'm starting to feel that way..

Another thing.. I'm missing one of my pepermint shrimp too; where did that go? Emerald Crab.. I think...

You saw what happened when I upset the balance of the tank...

12+ nasarius & 12+ ceriths became 4-5 of each real quick.

might be time to replace that crab with a new batch of snails.

AO

i had the same problem. My emerald was killing all of my blue legged and scarlet crabs. After many failed attempts of trapping him with various methods people suggest here, I yanked out all of rock, flicked him the one he was hiding under. I got alittle impatient. Anyway, good lukc catching him if you are planning on removing him.

I love my emerald crab in my 5.5 gallon nano with my coral banded shrimp plenty of hermits and snails and a perty damselfish... I don't see anything wrong with feeding your emerald crab snails and hermits...!!!!!! It's especially great in my nano when I want snails and hermits that get to big to be eaten so I can replace them with smaller more efficient ones.... but my emerald hasn't slaughtered anyone just yet...

I think Emerald crab behavior differs alot depending on the individual crab. I bought one that ate handfulls of soft coral and returned him for a female that's been very well behaved. If you need/want one I'd try to exchange him where you got him for another one (maybe a female).

Males (larger claws) are much more aggressive.

Mine ate two gobies, a few snails, a few hermits, and some really pricey SPS and Zoos

JeremyChase
Males (larger claws) are much more aggressive.

Mine ate two gobies, a few snails, a few hermits, and some really pricey SPS and Zoos

Mine is a female.. I want to bring her back!

you know,i just saw the title of the thread, and i thought, why do people still buy these things, even after all the threads they see, like this one

JeremyChase
you know,i just saw the title of the thread, and i thought, why do people still buy these things, even after all the threads they see, like this one
Agreed.. I just figured it would be ok; well it isn't ok. She ate one snail and one shrimp(can't confirm).

-Jer

I've had 3 of them and only one has misbehaved. They're interesting to watch, they take care of bubble algae, and they seem to get algae that the hermits and snails miss. For me it's a worthwhile low risk gamble.

JeremyChase
I'm trying to setup a tank for some cuttlefish, once they're big enough they'll get a good meal out of mine ;)
Well.. I'm thinking of starting an "exile" tank to keep critters that aren't playing nice. Probably a 10 gallon with low light..

-Jer

Archived