SaltCritters.com

Too much flow for my clownfish?

nanogirl314

nanogirl314

I just bought a false percula clownfish today and I drip-acclimated him and he seems to be doing well, except that he seems to be struggling a lot with the current in my Aquapod 12. I had a Maxi-jet 900 (230 gph) going and he looked like he was floundering all over the place. I switched to a smaller pump for now (115 gph) just because I didn't want him to stress or anything if the current was too much. He's pretty small, I don't know if that might have anything to do with it...I know lots of people use MJ-900s in nano cubes/aquapods so it seems silly that it could be too much flow. But he really seemed to be floundering to try and not let the current sweep him away. When I unplugged the pump he seemed to "settle down" and was swimming around more calmly and investigating his surroundings, then when I plugged the pump back in he seemed to be struggling to just move from one spot to the next. I was wondering if I should get a hydor flo to create more of a gentle even flow? The nozzle that came with my aquapod is flat on one side and then it's just open so it gives off quite a blast. What do you all think? :)

-NanoGirl314

I'd get a hydor flow regardless. It seems like is too much flow, but I've never heard of that problem with a 900 in a 12g.

i second getting the hydro-flow. it's on sale for 8.99 at marine depot right now. cheapest price you will find next to 9.99 at foster and smith. i recently added a clown to a 24g and he seemed to be all over the place also. he's now settled quite a bit.

nanogirl314
i second getting the hydro-flow. it's on sale for 8.99 at marine depot right now. cheapest price you will find next to 9.99 at foster and smith. i recently added a clown to a 24g and he seemed to be all over the place also. he's now settled quite a bit.

Ok, I'll go ahead and get the hydor flo. Thanks! :D

NanoGirl314

Give hime some time to adjust to the flow and he will swim in and out of the current happily in a few hours.

A hydor Flo sounds like a good plan though :)

minireefkeeper26

maybe you have a true nemo, and his fin is retarded. I had the same problem though, i had a micro jet and a powersweep(don't have any more i wonder why), it was too much for him, i turned down my micro jet and turned it up a little every week, but he found a calmer spot in my tank and stayed there most of the time. Your clown should be swimming all over the place, if he isn't and hes in the corner or looking stressed, i would lower the flow for a couple days and see if it helps.

I was very concerned when I got my ocellaris pair. The first two days were spent watching them get blown around the tank. I did not think they would make it. I think it is stress from thier ordeal of transport . They just take a bit to get used to the new flow dynamics. Now they seek out the highest flow in the tank (295 GPH from my maxi-jet) and literally sleep-surf all night. Hang in there, they will be okay.

nanogirl314

Thanks for the replies everyone. He already seems to be doing better I just love to watch him! He's so cool. :D

-NanoGirl314

Archived