SaltCritters.com

overflow box with a fuge

jimmie51

I have an idea for a sump / fuge. I am thinkng of taking a 5 1/2 tank and setting it on something behind my nano to make it the same height. Then I will put an over flow box so that it runs out of my main tank and emtys in the sump (no plumbing). A pump and return line would feed water back to the tank. I will prolly build a few baffles so I can keep a DSB and LR in the sump/fuge. I did a search and from what I saw, I think it will work. But the only time I could find an overflow box used is when the sump was under the main tank. I'm just not sure if it will work if the tanks are at the same level.

Thanks

The "from" tank's water level would have to be higher than the "to" tank's for a siphon overflow to work. It's a good idea, just keep the waterline in the fuge a bit lower. I would also hook it up in reverse order: overflow in fuge to feed tank, and use the pump to feed the fuge. This way you don't puree all the little critters as they leave the fuge. Did that make any sense? I can't tell anymore.

Satchmo, could I just use a pick up tube and a power head in the sump (pulling form the tank), and then put the over flow so it was putting water back into the tank? I think that is what you said just trying to keep it straightin my head. I think that will work and there is no chance of a flood right?

I was doing some more thinking about this. How does the overflow syphon work. Is it possible that it could loose syphon and flood out the fuge? Sorry to bring this back up, but I can't seem to picture it in my head. Thanks

I did something like what you want to do when I connected my twin 7 mini bows together. I use a ph to pump water into the second tank and 2 syphons to carry it back. I have two syphons just in case 1 breaks. If you start out with the water level equal in the two tanks the one being pumped into will rise and the one being syphoned into will fall. The syphon will always lag the pump.

The larger the syphon tube, the less the lag.

Some day when I have time to tear everything apart I will drill the tanks as this is the best way to go.

Cami

Thx guys, I didn't realize I could only drill one of the tanks and have it still work. I was thinking to complex and forgot the "keep it simple stupid" rule. Thanks again for the help.

Archived