Cultivated Reef

CPR refugium

apophis924

Hi Nano people. I have a 20 gallon nano with a prism skimmer. I want to go skimmerless using the CPR 18" refugium. My question is. I do not have room for both the skimmer and the fuge at the same time. How can i switch over to the fuge without over stressing the life in my tank.

P.S, Not afraid of doing daily water changes if thats what it takes until the fuge gets up and running I will be using 32watt compact lighting 24/7 on the fuge with a mix of macro algae what ever algae floruish the best will be what i will go with for nutrient export.

Thanks in Advants wor any info provided.

Apophis

I am still learning, but from what I have read.. You don't really need a skimmer to have a successful mini reef. I am using a BakPak skimmer now on my 18 gallon but ordered a custom refugium similar to the aquafuge. I did pick up a really small skimmer called a piccolo by Sanders here in DFW it will fit right in the return chamber on the cpr fuge.

Like I said I am still new and learning but wanted to give you some advice ;)

I think the concern here is that, since he is already skimming, if he removes the skimmer and puts the fuge on, there might be some increase in toxins while the fuge gets going. I don't think it will be an issue but, if you are concerned, test your water daily and do water changes when necessary.

You know, that didn't even occur to me? Left the keys to my brain in my other pair of pants. Yes, I guess your rock/sand would have to adjust to the increased work once the skimmer goes. But, even if the fuge was fully operational when you pulled the skimmer, you would still encounter this. A skimmer removes waste pre-nitrogen cycle whereas a fuge exports nitrogeneous end products. You stand to run into a small spike any way you go, but I don't think it would be significant. Others here have removed long-running skimmers without issue. Good luck.

If you can just run both for a while. I have a DIY gravity fed fuge above my 46 and since it's gotten established my skimmer doesn't pull out nearly as much gunk and I feed heavily twice a day (need to make sure Shadow - my niger trigger stays 'reef safe' and empty fish tummies lead to mischief)

Thanks Guys for the quick replies. I will go with setting up the fuge/remove the skimmer and test daily and keep a strict schedule of water changes. I will most likley let my nitrate levels be my indicatior of how well this plan is progressing. My orignal plan. getting advice here is a lot like asking family for advice. They reinforce what you have already made up your mind to do anyhow.

Thanks for the input

Archived