SaltCritters.com

One by one :-(

alxaguiar

Hello Everyone!

I am hoping to get some opinions and advice. Not sure what to do about what is happening to my Polyp's "Zoanthus"?

One by one only this group of polyp’s will die off or decay. Not sure why this is happening. Only thing I am able to see is the bulb gets discolored then shrinks and then finally gone. I do see these small things "sorry don't know what they are" and to small to get a pic of" either moving around the bulbs and on the decaying ones looks like eating them.

The odd part and can be seen in the picture is all the other bulbs are doing very well. They are being taken down 1 by 1.

Pictures are before and current.

Any advice on how to stop this would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance :-)

-AA

post-20160-1150180721_thumb.jpgpost-20160-1150181025_thumb.jpg

My guess is zoa eating nudibranches are eating your zoas. This will be stressful on the zoas, but I am afraid you have no other choice really. Do a freshwater dip on all your zoas for five minutes. While doing this shake them around and watch the nudis fall off of the zoas. After that, inspect the zoas for egg sacs, these are eggs of more zoa eating nudis. Take them off or you'll have more in yoru tank. When you are done, put your zoas back into your tank. Carefully watchyour tank at night and pluck out any zoa eating nudis you find.

i have crabs

You will get many of the nudi responses. Research on a lugols dip/freshwater dip and this may solve the problem.

I have had this problem as well, and it was NOT nudis. I lost two colonies to this wasting away and could do nothing to prevent this. Fortunately, it did not affect all of my colonies, just the two. I really don’t have an explanation for why this occurred, but my 5 other zoa colonies have been alive and growing for 2 years since the initial loss.

Another possible reason is zoas are susceptible to a fungus disease that can spread as well. This is usually more visible though, you would actually be able to see the malady.

Archived