inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish: how many is max for 10 Gallon?

Pets Shop Boy

Pets Shop Boy

Hello,

I'm new to the world of saltwater fish and new to this forum as well. I've been lurking here reading different posts and admiring some of the reef photos users have posted. It is truly amazing what fantastic microcosms can be created in such diminutive tanks.

Just to give some input on my situation: I'm not a reef keeper. In fact I'm new to marine aquaria as I mentioned earlier. That said, I thought a fish only tank would be best due to my inexperience. I have successfully kept the king of freshwater fish, discus in my 55 gallon home aquarium. I know this doesn't qualify me to be a saltwater aquarist, as this is obviously a different ball game, but I think the dedication required to successfully keep discus can certainly be applied Desiring to try my hand at saltwater and having read that, contrary to popular belief, smaller saltwater tanks are possible, however not as "forgiving" as their larger counterparts, I decided to set up a 10 gallon fish only tank at work. My setup includes live sand and a small penguin power filter and a pump for extra circulation. My pH is 8.4. Salinity is 1.024. Tank is fully cycled. since adding fish, I've been doing water changes of about 20% once a week. I currently only have one clownfish. I know there are many types, but I'm not knowledgable about exactly which one it is. It is the small, common, orange and white clownfish that is NOT the Clarkii (that much I know). Anyway, I read that they have a relationship with anemones, and I've also read that toadstool leather coral can be an alternative to the anemone. I'll probably get a light scolding here, but I went out and bought a small toadstool without understanding it's lighting requirements or the recomendation to have live rock. The toadstool has not extended it's polyps the entire time and has shed several times, assumingly because my equipment is vastly inappropriate. The tank only has two 25 Watt bulbs. I added another PC light I actually found in an office at work to the side of the tank. I think it is about 13 watts.

I add Calcium, Iodine, Stronthium and Molybdenum at recommended dosage.

Question, my blunder and lack of research aside, I have two questions.

1. Anything I can do within a reasonable budget to get the toadstool to extend its polyps? Would the addition of live rock help out? I don't intend on having a reef, I just thought it would be a good, somewhat easy to care for host for the clown. I don't think the coral is dying, but I don't know if it will ever reach it's potential under the current care I've been giving (or not giving). Should I just give it back to the LFS and concentrate on the fish (which has been doing well, eagerly eating and swimming around for the last month or so)?

2. I want to get one additional tankmate for the clown. I've read that Bengaii cardinal fish are okay tankmates. I also read conflicting information about keeping clownfish together. Some have said that keeping more than one clown may result in territorial fighting. Others have said that two should be fine in a 10 gallon; one might even change sex and become a pair. I don't want to overstock. Would the addition of the additional fish overload the tank? Is it too much of a bioload to have two small fish AND the toadstool assuming I can remedy the situation?

I realise this was really long. Sorry. I tend to do that. It is my first post and I thought some amount of introduction was in order. Any advice would be appreciated. I realise also that this is a nano-reef site, but I figured there's likely to be alot of expertise in fish-keeping as well.

Thanks,

Dan

Pets Shop Boy

I spoke with the LFS. He suggested I actually reduce the lighting, that 50 watts is a bit too much for 10 gallons. He also suggested reducing to 30 watts. I decided on adding one more clown. The guy there said this would be fine as long as I kept it at that. So, that's that. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

two fish are fine for a 10 gallon but the old clown might not like the new clown invading it's space. as for the lighting, I am running 70W hqi metal halide AND 36W powercompact actinic over my tank with a 13w powercompact jalli over the little fuge so tell your lfs that the lighting is not too much, it all depends on what you want to keep in the tank. There are members with 7 and 10 gallon tanks with 150W metal halides over them as well.

Tell your LFS guy t odo some research! WTF 50 watts too much!! HAHAHA, and I would have recommended adding the 2 clowns at one time. well i guess its a bit late for that!

Pets Shop Boy

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably have added them together, but I was afraid of adding too much too soon, so I added one, waited a few weeks, then added the other. I won't say it's constant, but the original chases the other around the tank every now and then. Is there a way to acclimate them to each other?

PS: I know under ideal circumstances quarantine of new fish is always preferred. However, I just don't have the space in my office for another tank. The new one is supposedly a tank bred percula so, hopefully they won't be carrying any threatening diseases. I hope I can get cut some slack here--I'm a complete beginner with saltwater and have many questions. I'll make separate posts for these, however. So far replies have been courteous. I hope they will remain so. Thanks

Pets Shop Boy

Actually, just to update, I came in this morning to find both fish happily swimming around. There is some occasional slight nipping, but not the constant chasing that ensued the day before that sent the new guy hiding in the bottom at the back of the tank. Right now they are both swimming nearly side by side in the corner nearest me. They are always ready to eat (I suppose this is a good sign) and I have to resist the urge to overfeed!

I dont know about the fish issue, but I have to agree with 9288 on the lighting. Dont be surprised if you ever hear about the 20H that has a 400w MH over it!! Maybe, just maybe I can see a tank having too much light if either the corals are low light...or you are getting close to 20 watts per gallon...

Archived