SaltCritters.com

Is your live rock supported in your large tank?

andrewkw

Tomorrow my new tank is coming, its a 112 gallon 60x18x24, its already drilled for overflow and i'm debating getting it drilled for closed loop as well. Once that is done and I cover the metal stand with wood it will be time to fill it up with live rock. I am actually trying to plan this one out unlike my 15g nano which I just setup on the fly.

I am a bit worried about the rocks in a larger tank falling over scratching the glass and destroying corals. Should I be worried about this? I am thinking I will use epoxy to attach smaller pieces to larger ones but then I will be stuck with the aquascape.

Any recomendations?

when I had a 60g, I built a pvc support structure to keep as much of my liverock off the gravel, and then strapped to it the rocks usiing zip-ties. It did take a while to get the rocks where I liked them, but I had a really cool looking structure,and lots of places to place corals. I placed all the rock dry too so it was a lot easier to handle and make sure your be stable.

audiocontrol

I used superglue to help my struture. And the best part about it is after a few months, coraline algae covers over any glue that might have been visible.

I've done PVC rack, pinning the rock (using rods to connect) and epoxy. They all worked decently.

Pinning and epoxying might be a bit better, as you get a larger range of positioning. Epoxy is a bit more permanent and makes for a larger "single mass of rock", and pinning requires drilling holes in proper places/angles to put everything together.

I just stacked it all up, nothing fancy. The only problems I'm having are the turbo snails knocking over tiny live rock pieces and zoanthid frags...

Archived