Pod Your Reef

Normal die off?

me03

I'm wondering if i just added a button polyp rock with lots of growth on it, if a portion of it would just die off in normal course of its growth or would I have something eating it? I've got Astrea snails, red legger hermits and your normal flatworms and pods. Anyone have any imput?

Physh1

Thanks for pointing out my poor e-mail skills. I put a nice sized button polyp rock into my month old tank. Everything was going well until about yesterday. First I found a dead red leg hermit in my tank. Thing is, I only had two in my tank and they're still alive. One may have molted. Then I noticed some of the color on my rocks began changing from a nice white to a green-brown color. Then we noticed some of the polyps appeared to be either dying off or being eaten by something. They appear to be headless and shriveled.

I've checked my water. Ammo, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH all within normal limits. Did 10% water change just in case. Normally do once a week. Light does not seem to be a problem unless it was too long of a time on. Started at 8 hrs went to 10hrs.

Can you give any advice?

The "dead" hermit is just a molt.....crabs molt their hard shell every once in a while....it's growth. It's good.

Are you dosing any additives like calcium, alk buffers, or trace elements? Your rocks are a nice white? Is this live rock? Live rock shouldn't be white......need a little more info here. If your live rock is a nice white you've got a problem there....

What is your temp and salinity?

Cameron

Physh1

Thanks for your response. It's not normal color of the Fiji rock. I have very nice purple color going on the rock and right next to it, as well as other areas on other rocks, I have a "brilliant white" color growing over the rock. It looked very healthy up till last week when the color started to dull. The purple got darker too.

I'm not sure what's going on. It could be something from the new rock with polyps on it or it could be normal development of the reef. I'd post a picture, but no digi camera and scanner is down.

Water within normal limits. I've started to add some marine flakes to give the hermits a little more to scavenge on. Other then that, any suggestions?

Oh, I found a hitch hiker. It went deep into my new rock as soon as I saw it. It looked like a red leg crab in a very small white shell. That's why I'm adding flakes. If it was very hungry it might have been going after my polyps. What do you think?

Archived